Natalie Portman Is Still Figuring Out Her Prego Style
By Jo Piazza Posted Jan 11th 2011 05:00PM
Once Natalie Portman made the announcement last month that she is expecting fiance Benjamin Millepied's baby, everyone went on high alert, watching for her baby bump. But Natalie has been careful about keeping her bump to herself, dressing in shapeless shifts that style experts either love or hate.
"So far, she seems to be dressing for red carpet events in slightly looser clothing, rather than accentuate her growing bump in tight dresses," says Fashionista Senior Editor Leah Chernikoff. "But Portman's far too stylish to just throw on a shapeless sack or tent dress and call it a day. She's chosen appropriately modest dresses that still show off those 'Black Swan'-trained gams and arms: a blue ruffled Jason Wu to the People's Choice Awards on the 5th and a mod-ish Vionnet with a gold sequined collar to the 2011 Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards Gala."
Celebrity stylist June Ambrose thinks that Portman is still getting used to her new body and that we might see more daring bump styles down the road.
"It seems like she still wants to keep the cat in the bag," Ambrose says. "But even the baggy look can't hide this blossoming tummy, especially with her petite frame! First time mommies are always modest. We need to give her some time to get fashionably acclimated to her new nonballerina body."
Portman should make the most of the benefits of pregnancy, one of which is an amazing head of hair. But so far the 'Black Swan' actress has been conservative with her locks as well as her belly, opting for simple buns and ponies on the red carpet.
"While few women actually experience that elusive pregnancy 'glow,' a universal truth is that hair is at its healthiest and most gorgeous during these nine months," says Jackie Cascarano, creative director of luxury hair retailer Lock & Mane. "Pregnancy hormones temporarily prevent hair from shedding, leaving you with a full head of thick and glorious locks. Natalie should revel in the nine months of great hair by pampering herself with blowouts, deep conditioning treatments and ultra feminine accessories, like headbands and bobbies."
Portman's prego style right now is perfectly fine, but we all want to see just a little more fun, especially as awards season heats up. Tack on some tighter frocks and let your hair down, Nat. What good is a famous baby bump if you don't let it have its red carpet moment?
MORE ABOUT Natalie Portman
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Natalie Portman Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- California high court won't review conviction of Michael Jackson's doctor
- Hollywood sex abuse suit: Theater producer denies allegations
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies after parachute accident
- Josh Gad Sets Up Family Adventure Project at Disney
- Emily Browning in Talks to Join Tom Hardy in Crime Thriller 'Legend'
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis Welcome a Baby Boy
- ?Arrow' recap: Mama knows best
- ?Survivor: Cagayan': And the eliminated contestant is?
- ?Game of Thrones' workout plan will give you Kingslayer abs
- Forget 'Jem,' Now Barbie Is Getting Her Own Movie Franchise
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 2: Watch the First 50 Seconds of Episode 1 (VIDEO)
- Here Are All the HBO Shows Coming to Amazon Prime