Katie Holmes Is Good for Ann Taylor, but Why Is She So Glum?
By Jo Piazza Posted Jan 12th 2011 06:00PM
Ann Taylor and Katie Holmes are both in a phase of reinvention. Longtime lady workwear designer Ann Taylor is trying to appeal to a younger and hipper consumer, while Holmes continues to shed the lingering scent of Joey Potter in an effort to be taken seriously in grown-up land.
The collaboration between the two on the retailer's spring ad campaign (where Holmes replaces Heidi Klum) seems like a solid partnership.
"Holmes is a good fit to replace Heidi Klum. She's a 32-year-old working mom whose style has settled into a place that's clean and elegant but not too edgy or over-the-top and therefore accessible," says Fashionista Senior Editor Leah Chernikoff.
Samantha Yanks, editor-in-chief of Gotham and Hamptons magazines, adds that Katie's personal style is the perfect compliment to what Ann Taylor is trying to achieve these days.
"She's stylish and photographs beautifully. What you find with her style is that she embraces uniform dressing. It's a simple formula that she uses: a monochromatic palette made up of pieces that have an elegance and ease to them. That's the very essence of Ann Taylor. She embodies the brand. The pairing doesn't come as a surprise at all," Yanks tells us.
The pairing is pretty perfect, and Holmes has become a darling of the advertising and fashion worlds. The Gloss Editor-in-Chief Lilit Marcus thinks Ann Taylor could even help Katie out a little bit on the red carpet.
"This is the best I've seen Katie Holmes look in a long time. Perhaps she can poach some of Ann Taylor's stylists to help her look less sallow and morose on the red carpet," Marcus says.
Some fashion experts think Holmes looks a little too glum in this campaign, and they're curious what that is all about.
"There's no telling why Katie Holmes looks so glum in the spring 2011 Ann Taylor campaign. Is it because the navy suit she's wearing in the first image released to press is so grown-up and serious looking? Holmes' last couple of fashion endorsements -- J. Crew last spring and Miu Miu in 2009 -- were decidedly less staid," says Racked editor Danica Lo.
Lo also wonders whether this serious and mature campaign was planned to coincide with Holmes' role as Jackie Kennedy in the recently axed biopic, 'The Kennedys.'
"This campaign would have been the perfect companion piece to Holmes' role as Jackie Kennedy in the History Channel show 'The Kennedys' -- if it hadn't been canceled before the first episode even aired," Lo says.
All in all, Holmes and Ann Taylor make a pretty partnership. We just wish she would smile a teensy bit more.
MORE ABOUT Katie Holmes
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Katie Holmes Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Watch 'Sex in the City' and 'Raymond' Producers Dish on Their Hit Shows
- You, Too, Can Party Like a Fashion Editor ? But It'll Cost You
- Liberty Ross Designs Limited-Edition Line for Genetic Denim
- Watch the first 5 minutes of Lifetime's ?Unauthorized Saved by the Bell' movie
- More adult women play video games than teen boys ? will the industry act accordingly?
- Watch Joe Manganiello and the men of ?La Bare' play Never Have I Ever
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Ranking All the Reasons to Kill
- The 7 Greatest HBO Shows of All Time (PHOTOS)
- Stop What You're Doing and Watch Bob Barker Punch An Animal Hater