'Spider-Man' Becomes Broadway's No. 1 Musical
By Moviefone Editors Posted Jan 12th 2011 12:20AM
The New York Times reports that the upstart production, plagued by bad press since a rash of accidents left several actors and crew members injured, has knocked 'Wicked' from the top of its Broadway box-office perch last week, but just barely. The web-slinger edged out the revised take on 'The Wizard of Oz' by a whopping $58.
The margin might have been bigger – 'Wicked's' 1.5 million haul was based on 100 percent of the audience paying for tickets, while "Spidey" offered patrons free and reduced-price seats while it continues its preview period. 'Wicked' had an average paid admission of $109.76, while 'Spider-Man' was slightly less at $102.86.
Could this be a portent of things to come? 'Wicked' has been one of the highest earning shows on Broadway since it debuted back in 2003, while 'Spider-Man' won't officially open until Feb. 7, after nearly a year of delays. The battle could be quite interesting – as 'Spider-Man' plays in a slightly larger theater (The Foxwood Theater) and boasts the name recognition of director Taymor, who helmed the stage version of 'The Lion King,' and music from U2's Bono and The Edge.
As The Times mentions, however, the 'Wicked' team has more experience in figuring out how to sell the most seats at premium ($300 a pop) prices, which should keep its grosses in the stratosphere for the foreseeable future. Plus, 'Wicked' hasn't shown any signs of waning popularity even after a seven-year run. It's a proven commodity.
Either way, it seems safe to say that the executives behind 'Spider-Man' have to be breathing a sigh of relief. After weeks of bad news, edging out a popular production like 'Wicked' is definitely something to crow about. Sony Films executives have to be pleased as well – as negative publicity for the musical could have a trickle down effect that compromises the earning ability of the new 'Spider-Man' movie, which is set to reboot the franchise.
Get more at Moviefone.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bill Cosby's New Rape Allegations: Everything We Know So Far
- Biz Markie Drops 140 Pounds, Says He "Wanted to Live": See Before and After Pictures
- Katherine Heigl Threatened to Date John Mayer If Husband Josh Kelley Didn't Commit
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Billy Joel set to break Madison Square Garden record
- Duggar fans create counter-petition to save '19 Kids & Counting'
- Vogue's new digs are reportedly swarming with rats
- Evan Ross Teases "Incredible" New Music With Ashlee Simpson, Would "Love" to Duet With Diana Ross
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner Join Justin Bieber to Celebrate Hailey Baldwin's 18th Birthday—Take a Look!
- American Music Awards Artists One Direction, Lorde and More Shown Through Emojis—Can You Guess Correctly? Play the Game Now!