'Golden Voice' Tarnished? Rough Trip to Hollywood for Ted Williams
By Marc Schneider Posted Jan 12th 2011 10:48AM
Massey said the altercation was "minor" and that "there were no signs of visible abuse." Williams, however, appeared on 'Entertainment Tonight' on Tuesday with claims to the contrary and a scratched-up face.
In his interview with 'ET,' Williams described a family gathering that devolved into a shouting match between him and Janey. The family had reunited over the weekend to shoot a TV appearance for the show 'Dr. Phil.'
"I wanted to bring it to a close by just saying 'shut the hell up and let me talk to your mother,'" he said. "When that was said out of my mouth, my daughter exploded ... fists started flying, none of which were mine, none of which were mine, but it could have escalated to the point where it could have gotten really ugly. So in the process of doing that, I got scratched on my face."
But Janey Williams had a different story to tell and claimed they were arguing because her estranged father, a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, had been drinking heavily since being plucked from obscurity.
"He has consumed at least a bottle of Gray Goose a night. That's not including the Coronas he ordered, that's not including the Budweisers he ordered, the other alcohol, the wines. He drinks heavily," she said.
Ted Williams denied he's been drinking, but admitted to CBS News on Friday that his sudden rise to fame has been a challenge. "I wanted a nerve pill yesterday, to be honest with you."
In the 'ET' interview, Ted Williams claimed his daughter made threats to bring his good luck to a halt. "She was screaming, 'I'm gonna sell this story,'" he said. "You think you've got bad press now."
A two-part 'Dr. Phil' episode was taped over the weekend, and on Wednesday, viewers will witness as Williams meets with his ex-wife, Patricia, and five of his nine children, according to a statement from the show.
"In this emotional reunion, Williams talks openly with his family about the man he is today, the influences that threaten his sobriety and what his children can expect from him in the future. His children respond in a very raw and candid manner," the statement said.
Life coach and radio host Mel Robbins tells PopEater that Williams' feel-good story was doomed from the moment it became clear the media was going to latch onto him and not let go.
"The media created a reality show right in front of our eyes," she says. "Ted Williams may have a golden voice, but he's also got a rap sheet, a drug addiction, nine children he abandoned and a mother he has been estranged from for 20 years. Does everyone deserve a second chance, sure. But don't kid yourself -- you can't overcome a lifetime of bad decisions and mental health issues with a few morning show appearances."
Williams, a Brooklyn native, became an online sensation a week ago when The Columbus Dispatch posted a video of him demonstrating his voice-over skills by the side of the road. Since then he has made appearances on the 'Today' show, among other programs, taped commercials for Kraft Foods and even reunited with his mother.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Harry Styles Takes Kendall Jenner to Gay Bar, Gwyneth Paltrow Attends Jennifer Aniston's Holiday Party: Top 5 Stories
- Adam Shankman Checks Into Rehab, "Seeking Treatment"
- Paris Hilton Reunites With Simple Life Costar, Former BFF Nicole Richie in Miami: Picture
- Kenya Moore Reveals Heartbreaking Relationship With Her Mother: She Doesn’t Love Me & Pretends I’m Invisible
- 'The Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Break Time: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' inspires racy lingerie line
- Candace Cameron Bure: 'I'm not going to get naked, and I'm not going to have sex scenes'
- The Voice's Top 5 Take the Semi-Finals Stage, Sleepy Hollow's Fall Finale's Shocking Reveal and More OMG TV Moments!
- Lea Michele Releases Preview of Debut Single "Cannonball"—Plus, Check Out Her Album Cover for Louder!
- Gavin Rossdale and 24-Year-Old Daughter Daisy Lowe Enjoy Park Date in London—Take a Look!