Backstreet Boys' A.J. McLean Enters Rehab
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 13th 2011 01:25PM
"For personal reasons, I've checked myself into a rehab clinic," McLean says in a statement (via PEOPLE). "With 2011 being a busy year for Backstreet, I want to be healthy and perform and sing for people at my very best and happiest. None of this will affect our current tour plans and I look forward to seeing everyone really soon! Thank you for all of your support and respecting my family and friends' privacy during this time."
While he gave no reason as to why he is seeking treatment, the singer has battled substance abuse issues in the past and went to rehab in 2001 and 2002 for alcohol and cocaine abuse.
McLean was reportedly six years sober in 2008, but has more recently been photographed exiting Los Angeles nightclubs. On Jan. 9, McLean tweeted, "I love u all and wish me luck! I start my sober journey tomorrow!"
McLean's drinking was reportedly affecting rehearsals for the Backstreet Boys' upcoming tour with New Kids on the Block, reports TMZ, who first broke the story.
In 2001, the Backstreet Boys postponed their 'Black & Blue' world tour so McLean could enter treatment for alcohol abuse, depression and anxiety.
During a 2003 interview, McLean told Oprah Winfrey he battles his addictions every day. He said he abused Jack Daniels, cocaine, sleeping pills, prescription medication and other illegal drugs, and even admitted he overdosed twice.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bryan Singer's lawyer claims his client was not in Hawaii when alleged abuse occurred
- White House declines comment on petition to deport the Biebs
- Gwen Stefani in talks to replace Christina Aguilera on ?The Voice'
- Is Gwen Stefani a good fit for ?The Voice'? ? POLL
- ?Salem' star Shane West knows nothing about ?Harry Potter' ? VIDEO
- ?Scandal' star Scott Foley's Reddit AMA: 9 things we learned
- Debbie Gibson Blames Extreme Weight Loss on Terrifying Battle with Disease
- Lara Spencer Named New ?GMA' Co-Host
- Extra Scoop: 5 Biggest Reveals from the ?Scandal' Season 3 Finale and More!
- Gwen Stefani Joins The Voice as a Judge! Singer Will Replace Pregnant Christina Aguilera
- Kate Mara Wore Nipple Pasties With Kevin Spacey's Face on Them for Sex Scene Prank
- Kendra Wilkinson Shows Off Baby Bump in Bikini, Duchess Kate and Prince William Fight Back Tears: Top 5 Stories