Tim McGraw Admits Motivation for Getting Sober Was Drunk Texting
By The Boot Editors Posted Jan 13th 2011 02:05AM
"I only learned how to text because back when I was drinking, I would get in trouble when I would call my wife, and she would find out I was drinking," Tim tells On the Red Carpet with a laugh. "And then I started slurring my texts, and I figured hell, I gotta quit drinking. Thank God nobody knew anything about Skype back then -- I would've never stayed out of trouble!"
Tim quit drinking about three years ago. He credits the recipient of his intoxicated calls for helping him change his ways.
"Faith has kept me alive," Tim told PEOPLE magazine, adding that if not for his wife, "I'd be dead. I would have partied too hard. I might have caught myself somewhere along the way and put the brakes on. I don't know if I would have gone [to rehab], don't think I could have been talked into that during those times," he said. "She's saved my life in a lot of different ways -- from myself more than anything. She's loved me through times when I didn't love me. I can go down a dark road sometimes, when you're not feeling good about yourself -- and she pulls me out."
Tim jokes that he plays the "Faith" role in his current movie, 'Country Strong,' as the sober half of a struggling couple, while Gwyneth Paltrow plays the old Tim -- a country star struggling with substance abuse.
But in all seriousness, he insists his life off the screen never really compared to that of the intense situations he and Gwyneth act out on screen. "I had some problems, but this was a whole deeper thing here," Tim told The Boot at a 'Country Strong' press junket. "It's a totally different relationship than I have with my wife because [Faith's] actually the boss. I don't know anything about being in charge in our relationship."
Get more at The Boot.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?Mindy Project' star Adam Pally reveals which celeb sex tape he owns
- Recast ?Game of Thrones' princess posts hilarious video reaction
- Celebrity Wife Swap? Meet Orlando Bloom's Rumored New GF
- Did Leonardo DiCaprio Cheer On Orlando Bloom in Justin Bieber Brawl?
- Details: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's Handwritten Love Letters
- Kelly Rowland Accidentally Reveals She's Having a Baby Boy, Dishes On Her Pregnancy Cravings
- Jada Pinkett Smith Talks Willow's Bed Picture Controversy, Laughs Off Will Smith Marriage Rumors As "Entertaining"
- Ashley Williams Expecting First Child With Husband Neal Dodson: See Her Baby Bump