Miss America Pageant Returns to Network Television
By The Editors at AOL News Posted Jan 14th 2011 02:00PM
Barry Manilow posed after his show at Paris Las Vegas on Jan 7th with the 2011 Miss America contestants, whom will vie for the coveted title on Saturday. The women attended his show as part of their pre-pageant publicity.
There she is, Miss America. The question is, will anyone notice?
Those in charge are convinced that this is the year that the iconic but long-beleaguered beauty pageant re-establishes its rightful place in the nation's consciousness as it returns triumphantly to network TV on Saturday for its 90th strut after five years in the cable wilderness. ABC's live broadcast will begin at 9PM EST.
"America loves a comeback story," Sam Haskell, chairman of the Miss America Organization, told AOL News. "When you figure out how education and scholarship and talent and service are all put in the forefront, there was nothing to do but come back."
That's the strategy, anyway.
It's been many years since a Miss America became a household name -- quick, name last year's winner! The public's attention has turned toward the competing Miss USA pageant, thanks largely to a steady succession of sex and political scandals. ABC dumped Miss America after the 2005 pageant, so the show moved first to CMT and then to TLC and from downtrodden Atlantic City to glitzy Las Vegas.
Rather than hop into the Jerry Springer gutter, however, Miss America partisans opted for the more Oprah-esque approach, emphasizing good deeds and inspiration. They stressed that the Miss America Organization raises and distributes millions of dollars for scholarships and requires its contestants to do public service.
"You're always telling people the difference between Miss USA and Miss America," admitted Miss America 2000, Heather French Henry of Kentucky, who spent the past decade lobbying Congress for more funding for homeless war veterans. "We're a nonprofit organization dedicated to scholarship, and they're not. I think our mission is creating positive headlines without having controversy."
Get the Full Story from AOL News
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Shailene Woodley: Jennifer Lawrence Convinced Me to Star in Divergent
- Jessica Simpson Reaches Weight Loss Goal, Shares Slim White T-Shirt Selfie
- Ke$ha Leaves Rehab After Two Months: "Life Is Beautiful"
- Miley Cyrus blasts Katy Perry over kiss diss
- Isaiah Washington returning to ?Grey's Anatomy' seven years after controversial departure
- Bob Costas didn't get pink eye from bad Botox, NBC insists
- Spoiler Chat: Scoop on Teen Wolf, The Good Wife, Suits, Two and a Half Men and More!
- Jessica Simpson Shares Pics of Maxwell and Ace Knute, The "Most Beautiful" Kids in the World!
- Miley Cyrus Caresses Her Face and Rubs Her Thighs With Hand of Adonis Dildo—See the Pics!