Miss America Pageant Returns to Network Television
By The Editors at AOL News Posted Jan 14th 2011 02:00PM
Barry Manilow posed after his show at Paris Las Vegas on Jan 7th with the 2011 Miss America contestants, whom will vie for the coveted title on Saturday. The women attended his show as part of their pre-pageant publicity.
There she is, Miss America. The question is, will anyone notice?
Those in charge are convinced that this is the year that the iconic but long-beleaguered beauty pageant re-establishes its rightful place in the nation's consciousness as it returns triumphantly to network TV on Saturday for its 90th strut after five years in the cable wilderness. ABC's live broadcast will begin at 9PM EST.
"America loves a comeback story," Sam Haskell, chairman of the Miss America Organization, told AOL News. "When you figure out how education and scholarship and talent and service are all put in the forefront, there was nothing to do but come back."
That's the strategy, anyway.
It's been many years since a Miss America became a household name -- quick, name last year's winner! The public's attention has turned toward the competing Miss USA pageant, thanks largely to a steady succession of sex and political scandals. ABC dumped Miss America after the 2005 pageant, so the show moved first to CMT and then to TLC and from downtrodden Atlantic City to glitzy Las Vegas.
Rather than hop into the Jerry Springer gutter, however, Miss America partisans opted for the more Oprah-esque approach, emphasizing good deeds and inspiration. They stressed that the Miss America Organization raises and distributes millions of dollars for scholarships and requires its contestants to do public service.
"You're always telling people the difference between Miss USA and Miss America," admitted Miss America 2000, Heather French Henry of Kentucky, who spent the past decade lobbying Congress for more funding for homeless war veterans. "We're a nonprofit organization dedicated to scholarship, and they're not. I think our mission is creating positive headlines without having controversy."
Get the Full Story from AOL News
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kaley Cuoco Officially Debuts Blonder, Shaggier Pixie Cut on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Teresa Giudice Gets Thrown In Nicole Napolitano's Line of Fire on Upcoming Real Housewives of New Jersey: Exclusive Clip
- Nicole Kidman Delivers Eulogy at Dad Antony's Funeral: He Helped Me Through Tom Cruise Split, Was "On a Plane Hours After" Divorce
- Nicole Kidman & Husband Keith Urban Bid Farewell To Her Father Antony At His Sydney Funeral, Sing Duet Of ‘Amazing Grace’
- Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban Bid Farewell To Her Father Antony With Vivid Memories, Duet Of ?Amazing Grace,' As Russell Crowe Lends Support As Pallbearer
- Booty Battle! Jennifer Lopez & Iggy Azalea Shake Their Bottoms In New Music Video
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: How I found out nude pics had leaked
- Jason Aldean: Get over affair and stop calling me 'bro country'
- Gerard Depardieu says he can drink 12-14 bottles of wine a day
- Nashville Premiere Sneak Peek: Rayna Decides Who She's Going to Marry—Does She Pick Luke or Deacon? Watch Now!
- Téa Leoni Finally Addresses David Duchovny Divorce: "I Don't Know How I Could Ever Hate Him"
- First iPhone 6 Owner Drops It on Live TV; Perth Man Was "in a Panic to Get It Open"—Watch Now!