Marissa Jaret Winokur Leaves 'The Talk'
By Christine Fenno Posted Jan 15th 2011 09:41AM
The series was repeatedly described in the press as a knock-off of ABC's 'The View,' and the creators surely hoped Winokur's 'Mom in the Street' interviews would help set it apart.
Now, months after the show's October premiere, the actress is walking away.
"I will not be returning to 'The Talk' this year," Winokur tells People.com, confirming that she prefers to focus on her new clothing line and developing her own cable series.
An executive producer on 'The Talk' says that Winokur's departure is "a mutual decision, based on time, not talent."
The 37-year-old New York native was brought on board to contribute twice-a-week 'Mom in the Street' segments, taking the show out of the studio setting. "But as the show evolved," Winokur says, "there really wasn't room for my segments."
Busy raising a 2-year-old son, the Broadway veteran (who won a 2003 Tony award for 'Hairspray') acknowledges that she's also dealing with a sudden death in the family over the holidays. "I'm still grieving over the loss of my father....I loved my father so much. He was my inspiration....He was the one who told me I could be anything I wanted to be when I was growing up."
Brad Bessey, exec producer on 'The Talk,' said in a statement: "We think the world of Marissa as a creative talent, on-air personality and super mom....The show is trending toward more time with panel conversations and interviews, creating fewer opportunities for the mom-on-the-street segments. We are grateful beyond words to Marissa for her hard work, unrivaled energy and enthusiasm; and the integral role she played in the successful launch of The Talk. We wish her the very best."
Here's a clip of Winokur, before her departure from the series, interviewing men about being Stay-at-Home Dads:
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs Separate After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' Ex, Expecting Baby Number Six with Wife Victoria Prince
- Kim Kardashian Debuts Post-Baby Bikini Body, Drew Barrymore Reveals She's Having Another Baby Girl: Top 5 Wednesday Stories
- They’re Good As Gold! Kim Kardashian Calls Kanye West The ‘Most Romantic, Sweetest Person’ She’s Ever Met
- Rachael Ray's cousin blames TV chef's family for tragic death of her mother
- Nigella Lawson blurts 'I am not a drug addict,' cop says
- 'Duck Dynasty' triple threat: Robertsons hunt, sing, and act in Christmas special
- Lea Michele Talks About Cory Monteith's Death in First TV Interview: "He Would Want Me to Live My Life"
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Review Roundup: Critics Can't Find Middle Ground on Middle-earth
- Mena Suvari's Awkward Christmas Card With Her Boyfriend and Cat Is Absolute Perfection—Take a Look!