Miss America Triumphs Over Runner-Up's Yodeling Ventriloquist Act
By Christine Fenno Posted Jan 16th 2011 11:39AM
On Saturday's live broadcast from Las Vegas, emcee Chris Harrison was the perfect man for the job, sailing through the competition of 53 nervous ladies, all exuding maximum charm in minimal clothing.
Historically, the swimsuit parade is the contest's hallmark, but we'd be remiss if we didn't single out the evening's talent portion as particularly entertaining.
(Come to think of it, wouldn't Harrison's 'Bachelor' franchise knock one out of the park if bachelorettes busted out their toe shoes and Irish clogging for a talent showdown each season?)
While Miss Nebraska, 17-year-old Teresa Scanlan, ultimately won the big prize -- a $50,000 scholarship, plus the headgear and sash that sparkle for a year before they turn back into pumpkins -- it sure seems like first runner-up Alyse Eady might have been robbed. Anyone who saw her entry in the talent division saw something special. Here, enjoy Miss Arkansas' yodeling-with-dummies solo (trio?) for yourself:
The evening also included a poignant performance from vocalist Kathryn Bulkley (Miss Arizona) who dedicated her solo to her home state's recently wounded congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords. Judges for the 2011 pageant included Joy Behar, Tony Dovolani and Marilu Henner.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Forever Season 2 Might Not Happen, But Star Ioan Gruffudd Thanks Dedicated Fans
- The Voice Season 8 Semifinalists Revealed! Who Made the Top 5 and Who Went Home?
- Melissa Rivers on Joan Rivers' Last Days: "I Made Sure She Looked Her Best"
- Kim Kardashian nearly nude at 2015 Met Gala, as is Beyonce
- Wheelchair-bound 'Price Is Right' contestant wins treadmill
- Tiger Woods losing sleep over Lindsey Vonn split, father's death