Oh Ricky, You Weren't Fine: Gervais Banned From Globes Hosting Duties?
Ricky Gervais trashed Angelina Jolie, Charlie Sheen, Hugh Hefner, Mel Gibson, God, Tom Cruise (and the list goes on) last night when he hosted the Golden Globes. But the joke that got him in the most trouble was when he made fun of Philip Berk, the current head of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA for short).
"Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure," a member of the HFPA tells me, adding that Gervais' relentlessly mean shtick could have even larger consequences. "For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain."
Berk verified on Monday that Ricky has ticked off the HFPA, telling the Hollywood Reporter that the two-time host went too far with his jokes aimed at other celebs.
"He definitely crossed the line," Berk said. "And some of the things were totally unacceptable. But that's Ricky. Any of the references to individuals is certainly not something the Hollywood Foreign Press condones."
This opening monologue at Sunday's ceremony set the tone with Gervais announcing, "It's going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking -- or as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast."
Next the British comedian went after Angelina who was sitting at table one and not laughing when he said, "It seems like everything this year was 3-dimensional -- except for the characters in The Tourist," Gervais said. "I haven't even seen 'The Tourist' -- who has?"
Humble Pie was soon served up by Cruise's 'Tropic Thunder' co-star, Robert Downey Jr., after Gervais made fun of him for his long-conquered troubles with the law and drug addiction.
"Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show's pretty good so far, wouldn't you?" Downey Jr. asked.
After that, Gervais knew he had lost the crowd, and his few remaining appearances on stage were met with stifled laughs and stern faces. A popular Twitter phrase during this part of the show: "Where's Ricky Gervais?"
Ricky explained his nearly hour-long absence in comments to BBC News a day after the show. "I was allowed to choose who I would introduce in advance. I obviously chose presenters who I had the best jokes for, and who I knew had a good sense of humor."
He added, "Everyone took it well and the atmosphere backstage and at the after show was great."
To make matters worse, though, Gervais' last words in the telecast were, "Thank God for making me an atheist." Smooth move!
"Ricky blew it big time. It's one thing to make fun of celebrities but it's another to make them totally uncomfortable," an insider tells me. "People in that room were furious but had to sit and smile because the camera's were on them. It really says something when several people who attended said they would have felt safer with Kathy Griffin hosting."
Ricky, if you're going to be naughty, don't forget to also be NICE!
Jo Piazza: Yes, Ricky Gervais Was Too Nasty at the Golden Globes
- Filed under:
- Awards -
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- TV News -
- WTF -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Ricky Gervais
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Ricky Gervais Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Vanessa Hudgens Shows off her Skinny Figure, Flashes Abs in 2014 Young Hollywood Awards Outfit
- Liam Payne Shares Naked, Pixilated, Full Frontal Snap, Sends One Direction Fans into Frenzy with Cheeky Prank
- Scheana Marie Marries Michael Shay: Details on the Vanderpump Rules Star's Wedding
- Burn! Beyonce Skipped Kimye Wedding Because She ?Wasn't Going To Allow A Kardashian To Socially Climb Her,' Claims New Repor
- 'Lucy' tops 'Hercules' with $44M at the box office
- Casey Kasem's kids think wife has boyfriend in Montreal; may have dad's body there on ice
- Joan Rivers slams Selena Gomez for ?Pray for Gaza' post
- A Potential Cure on True Blood, A Family Sacrifice on Witches of East End & More OMG TV Moments
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Brandi Glanville Launching New Wine, Wants Your Input
- Botched Before and After: Breast Cancer Survivor, Boob Implant Headache and Much More—See the Pics!
George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, Uggie the Dog? The...
Good news, Uggie fans! The scene-stealing Jack Russell...