Yes, Ricky Gervais Was Too Nasty at the Golden Globes [Video]
Gervais started out by ripping into Charlie Sheen, admittedly an easy target, so easy that those jokes about Sheen being drunk by breakfast were given a pass. Who among us hasn't laid into Sheen these past few months? It was an ample way to start.
But then Ricky went after a weaker target, 'The Tourist.' Sure it was a critical and commercial bomb, but Johnny and Angie aren't exactly the kind of stars who laugh along with the joke. "I haven't even seen 'The Tourist,'" Gervais said. "Who has?"
He then dug into the Hollywood Foreign Press (his hosts for the evening) for allegedly nominating 'Burlesque' after being bribed with tickets to a Cher concert. He continued by mocking Cher herself, saying it wasn't a halfway decent bribe anyway because no one has wanted to go to a Cher concert since 1975. Dude, what did Cher of all people ever do to you, Ricky? Watch the monologue after the jump.
Gervais then mentioned that the special effects team from 'Sex and the City 2' should have been nominated for making the cast look younger on the movie poster.
"Girls, we know how old you are. I saw one of you on an episode of 'Bonanza.'" Apparently, Ricky's mom never told him the two taboos in comedy are still a woman's age and her weight.
His most shocking joke of the night came when he mentioned that Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor were heterosexual actors who played gay characters in the film 'I Love You Philip Morris.'
"So the complete opposite of some Scientologists, then," Gervais said. He admitted his lawyers had vetted that joke. Even that didn't settle the groans echoing throughout the ballroom.
Later in the show, Gervais introduced Bruce Willis as Ashton Kutcher's dad. Come on, that one is just dated.
Introducing presenter Robert Downey Jr., Gervais went through a list of the actor's films and added, "But many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail."
Downey Jr., felt compelled to dig back at Gervais on behalf of his fellow celebrities.
"Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show has been pretty good so far, wouldn't you?" Downey Jr. sniped back.
And when Gervais introduced Tim Allen with little fanfare, Allen snapped back that he would always remember Gervais as a "slightly chubby but kind comedian, neither of which he is right now."
Here was the problem with Gervais' jokes: He didn't play to the room. He went after soft targets with some hard jokes. There's a reason every Oscar host gives Jack Nicholson hell every year -- it's because Nicholson laughs back from behind his shades and knows how to play along. Most of the time at last night's awards, no one was laughing with or at Gervais.
MORE ABOUT Ricky Gervais
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Ricky Gervais Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Vin Diesel: 'Furious 7' deserves an Oscar but the Academy doesn't like action flicks
- Kelly Rowland reveals how she lost 70 lbs of baby weight
- 'Coach' returns to NBC with 13-episode run starring Craig T. Nelson
- Disney Junior Targets Best-Seller 'Fancy Nancy' as Next Big Franchise
- 'Get Hard': What the Critics Are Saying
- George Lucas "Honors" Fox News on 'Daily Show', Promises to Make Films "Blindly Uncritical of America"
- Best of Late Night TV: Jimmy Fallon's Wax Figures and Will Ferrell's Cockatoo (VIDEO)
- Recap of 'The Blacklist' Season 2 Episode 17: The Longevity Initiative
- Sarah Jessica Parker Admits She 'Forgot' About 'Sex and the City' After Shooting Pilot (VIDEO)
- Extra Scoop: Does Taylor Swift Have a Hot New A-List BF? See the Pics
- Get Inspired by the T.G.I.T. Style of 'Scandal's' Lady Gladiators
- Make a Sexy Hair Statement for Spring in Two Easy Steps
George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, Uggie the Dog? The ...
Good news, Uggie fans! The scene-stealing Jack Russell terri...