In Defense of Ricky Gervais by ... Bryan Adams?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 18th 2011 03:58PM
While critics continue to pile on to slam Ricky Gervais for his "corrosive tone" at the Golden Globes on Sunday night, the British comic isn't without his supporters. Count 'Summer of '69' rocker Bryan Adams in that bunch of fans who thought Ricky did a bang-up job.
"I loved Ricky hosting the Golden Globes. He doesn't give a s**t," Bryan tells me. "Look, I'm going to say this because that's me every day."
Bryan, a three-time Oscar nominee whose songwriting career has spanned more than three decades and 65 million albums sold, tells me that much like Ricky, he doesn't rehearse or even warm up before performing to a sold out crowd. He admires the actor's loose style and delivery, particularly how he introduced Tom Hanks with a long list of awards and movies, then just said Tim Allen's name.
On tour promoting his phenomenal new CD, 'Bare Bones,' the proud Canadian tells me why he decided to strip down his biggest hits including 'Everything I Do, I Do It For You.'
"Everything was written on guitar so it's a side of me that I know well," Bryan tells me. "It's always been on the back of my mind to present these songs in a simple fashion away from my band. I started playing small venues to keep me amused, as a laugh, and then joined Twitter where I got great feedback about performing bare bones."
Being a super nice guy, Bryan was reluctant to comment if Britney Spears or some of the younger performers could be able to perform without all the stage production, but he did say, "It takes a lot of guts to do that by yourself. It took me a long time to get comfortable on a stage by myself. In the past if I cocked up [blundered] I would blame the band, now it's just me."
Bryan tells me it would be super hard for him to judge a show like 'American Idol' and slag anyone off. "That's hard for me to do," he tells me.
Don't worry, Bryan. That's what we have Ricky Gervais for.
- Filed under:
- Awards -
- Gut Reactions -
- Music News -
- TV News -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Ricky Gervais
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Ricky Gervais Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- David Hasselhoff reportedly being wooed for 'Celebrity Apprentice'
- Henry Winker calls Kim Kardahian 'charming and warm'
- Khloe Kardashian jokes about having sex with O.J. Simpson
- ?Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. to Tie the Knot
- No More Dollar Sign! Kesha Changes Name Spelling, Looks Happy Post-Rehab
- Michael Jackson's Son Controversy: Real Dad Steps Forward
- Susan Sarandon Says She's "Very Excited" About Daughter Eva Amurri's Pregnancy, Reveals What Baby Gift She Already Bought Her
- Christian Bale, Wife Sibi Expecting Second Child
- Shakira's Boyfriend Gerard Pique Doesn't Allow Her to Make Music Videos With Men, "He's Very Territorial"