Kristen Stewart in Vogue: 'Just Being Some Chick ... That's Gone'
By Sarah Crow Posted Jan 18th 2011 03:30PM
Kristen Stewart's gamine good looks have made her a highly sought after face for fashion, but for the young actress, her main concern is connecting with the fans whose boundless love for her work has made her a star.
Stewart, who posed for celebrated shutterbug Mario Testino in the February issue of Vogue, tells the magazine that despite relishing the opportunities success has provided, she has not yet adjusted to the fan frenzy that so often surrounds her.
"There's no way to eloquently put this," says the 20-year-old. "I just can't go to the mall. It bothers me that I can't be outside very often. And also to not ever be just 'some girl' again. Just being some chick at some place, that's gone."
While Stewart's work in the 'Twilight' series and rumored relationship with co-star Robert Pattinson have ushered in new levels of teen hysteria on a global scale, the actress is careful to seek roles that challenge her rather than simply maintain her celebrity. In addition to her star-making turn as Bella Swan, Stewart has consistently pushed herself as an actress, embodying diverse and complicated roles from a teen stripper in 'Welcome to the Rileys' to iconic rocker Joan Jett in 'The Runaways.'
"A compulsion absolutely fills you," she says of picking her roles. "I choose things that are so overly ambitious, and if I can't do stuff like that, I don't want to be doing this."
While the actress appreciates the devotional response she receives from Twi-hards, she acutely recognizes that the fans' fundamental passion is for the part she plays.
"Masses of girls identified with Bella in a really profound way, for want of a better word," she says. "The connection that I've seen people have ... I've seen it physically. It's the characters they're flipping for."
Stewart's rare combination of talent and humility has earned her not only idol-like worship from fans, but the respect of her industry peers.
Bill Condon, who directed Stewart in 'Breaking Dawn,' says "Kristen was at the top of my list of reasons to do this movie," calling her "one of the smartest actresses I've ever worked with."
Rather than resting on her laurels, Stewart is dedicated to not only her craft, but helping others. "It's funny when you are endowed not only with public recognition on a f**king seriously vast level, but also money," she says. Stewart hopes to someday use her philanthropic spirit to open halfway houses, a goal inspired by her research for 'Welcome to the Rileys.'
Stewart admits that she finds herself a strange choice celebrity, saying, "I don't think I would ever have been able to be an actress had I not started at 9 years old. I would have been the last person to stand up and say, 'I'd like to star in the play,'" but it's this same shy vulnerability that has allowed her to have such a tremendous impact with fans.
Condon says of her bright future, "Not only does she have astonishing technical ability, she has an incredibly incisive and serious approach to character. She has just unlimited potential."
Read the Full Interview | See Stewart's Cover Shoot Outtakes | Check Out Behind-the-Scenes Video
MORE ABOUT Kristen Stewart
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kristen Stewart Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- When Instagram gets you in trouble: Miranda Kerr slammed for being 'disrespectful' to husband Orlando Bloom
- The Talented and Charming Brad Pitt
- Brad Pitt: I was on drugs during marriage to Jennifer Aniston
- Cannes: Michael Douglas Gets Emotional at 'Behind the Candelabra' Event
- Sharon Osbourne to Rejoin U.K. 'X Factor' as Judge
- Cannes: Lionsgate Takes U.S. Rights to ?Blood Ties'
- Bono, Olivia Wilde, and Richard Branson join Matt Damon's ?toilet strike' ? VIDEO
- ?Grimm' season 2 finale react: What will become of Nick?
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill
- This Witch Gets You One Step Closer to a Trip to the Premiere of 'World War Z' (PHOTO)