Upset Fans of Lauryn Hill Walk Out During Concert
By Boombox Editors Posted Jan 18th 2011 01:25AM
Aside from showing up three hours late to the sold-out event, which was scheduled to begin at 9PM, the 35-year-old left her supporters "confused" and "underwhelmed" by declaring that she was tired of "playing the same music night after night." The former Fugee performed remixes of some of her classics, while urging crowd participation.
"Nobody could participate because NOBODY knew the music!" a concertgoer told Sandrose.com. "Everybody was looking around like 'WHAT SONG IS THIS?'"
Fans also complained that Hill's band was too loud, thus drowning out her vocals. Fed up with her antics, some audience members reportedly booed the multiple Grammy winner before leaving the venue early. "They didn't walk out -- they stomped out!" emphasized the audience member.
Hill exhibited some of the same behavior during a performance at The Pageant Concert Nightclub in St. Louis on Sunday. Fans, already weary of her growing reputation for being late, waited patiently for her arrival, three hours after doors opened.
Once again announcing that she would be adding a new spin to some of her old music, Hill launched into performances of "barely recognizable" versions of songs from her critically acclaimed 1998 release, 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.' The show reportedly went on well past 1AM, causing some audience members to leave the concert, while others stayed until the early morning.
Last month, Hill announced that she would launch a 17-date tour, and has been racking up mostly negative reviews ever since. The singer was blasted by several news outlets for her kick-off performance at Brooklyn's Music Hall of Williamsburg, in which she showed up several hours late and made no apology for her tardiness, announcing that she was "worth the wait."
Unfortunately, this behavior is nothing new for Hill, who has been largely out of the spotlight in recent years, but appears to be making a comeback after taking time off to raise her five children with partner Rohan Marley. Despite her missteps, Hill continues to sell out venues and is slated to hit the stage at First Avenue & 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis on Tuesday.
Get more at The BoomBox.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Whitney Houston's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, found unresponsive in tub
- Celebs and sports stars converge for pre-Super Bowl party
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Stephen Fry urges UK to pardon gay men
- Val Kilmer Responds to Health Scare, Denies Tumor Operation
- Bobbi Kristina Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in a Bathtub
- Rumor Bust! Lindsay Lohan Does NOT Want to Become a Witch
- Taylor Swift Wishes Justin Timberlake Happy Birthday, Posts Throwback Photo With Beyonce, Jay Z
- Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney to Perform at Super Bowl DirectTV Bash
- Rihanna Teases "FourFiveSeconds" Music Video With Kanye West, Paul McCartney: Kanye Wanted to Do "Street Denim" Style