Upset Fans of Lauryn Hill Walk Out During Concert
By Boombox Editors Posted Jan 18th 2011 01:25AM
Aside from showing up three hours late to the sold-out event, which was scheduled to begin at 9PM, the 35-year-old left her supporters "confused" and "underwhelmed" by declaring that she was tired of "playing the same music night after night." The former Fugee performed remixes of some of her classics, while urging crowd participation.
"Nobody could participate because NOBODY knew the music!" a concertgoer told Sandrose.com. "Everybody was looking around like 'WHAT SONG IS THIS?'"
Fans also complained that Hill's band was too loud, thus drowning out her vocals. Fed up with her antics, some audience members reportedly booed the multiple Grammy winner before leaving the venue early. "They didn't walk out -- they stomped out!" emphasized the audience member.
Hill exhibited some of the same behavior during a performance at The Pageant Concert Nightclub in St. Louis on Sunday. Fans, already weary of her growing reputation for being late, waited patiently for her arrival, three hours after doors opened.
Once again announcing that she would be adding a new spin to some of her old music, Hill launched into performances of "barely recognizable" versions of songs from her critically acclaimed 1998 release, 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.' The show reportedly went on well past 1AM, causing some audience members to leave the concert, while others stayed until the early morning.
Last month, Hill announced that she would launch a 17-date tour, and has been racking up mostly negative reviews ever since. The singer was blasted by several news outlets for her kick-off performance at Brooklyn's Music Hall of Williamsburg, in which she showed up several hours late and made no apology for her tardiness, announcing that she was "worth the wait."
Unfortunately, this behavior is nothing new for Hill, who has been largely out of the spotlight in recent years, but appears to be making a comeback after taking time off to raise her five children with partner Rohan Marley. Despite her missteps, Hill continues to sell out venues and is slated to hit the stage at First Avenue & 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis on Tuesday.
Get more at The BoomBox.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- MTV reportedly cancels 'Teen Mom 3'
- ?Lone Survivor': A tribute to fallen Navy SEALs that Hollywood investors almost refused to make
- 'Cherry Pie' girl Bobbi Brown: 'I wanted to shoot myself'
- ?Saturday Night Live' best host poll: Third time the charm for Paul Rudd? ? VOTE
- ?Baby, It's Cold Outside': You choose the best version, in our Twelve Days of Christmas Classics ? POLL
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut in ?Of Mice and Men' with James Franco and Chris O'Dowd
- Pic! See Miley Cyrus' Dramatic New Haircut
- Paul Walker's Tragic Death: Inside the 'Fast and Furious' Star's Memorial Service
- Hilarious ?SNL' Video: One Direction vs. Paul Rudd and His ?Man Band'