Is MTV's 'Skins' Straddling Child Pornography Laws?
By Kiki Von Glinow Posted Jan 20th 2011 09:20PM
But American teens better TiVo the first two episodes before network execs force producers to tone down the heavy petting and nudity. The show has been labeled by some -- including The New York Times -- as a flagrant display of child pornography.
Featuring scenes that simulate masturbation, sex and drug use, it sounds like just another day at the 'Jersey Shore.' But MTV's other scandal-saturated reality shows all feature actors/reality stars who are at least 18 years old. 'Skins' boasts a bevy of fresh-faced actors, some as young as 15.
Check out the full series premiere episode ... after the jump!
The third episode, set to debut on Jan. 31, follows Chris, played by Jesse Carere, who, after experimenting with erectile dysfunction pills, runs down the street naked, exposing his 17-year-old bum. The episode spawned a vehement reaction from the Parents Television Council, who called the show the "most dangerous program that has ever been foisted on your children." Now it's set to be toned down before it airs.
'Skins' carries a rating of TV-MA (meant for those above 17 years old) and scored killer ratings with its premiere episode, but the Times cites analysts saying at least 1 million of the new 'Skins' enthusiast viewers were under 17.
With allegations of violating child pornography statutes, it seems as though the notoriously envelope-pushing network will not be able to keep up with the show's original plot lines (the premiere American episode was almost identical to its British original) that British audiences enjoyed. The U.K. is famously more accepting of televised eroticism.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Trista Sutter's Daughter Blakesley Reads Us Weekly, Looks in Awe of Desiree Hartsock, Chris Siegfried's Wedding Pics!
- Ryan Gosling Attempts His Best Australian Accent, Videobombs Russell Crowe While He's Presenting at the AACTA Awards -- Watch
- David Spade Spends $900K on Souped-Up Version of Joe Dirt Dodge Daytona Car, Says It's "Too Nice" to Drive!
- Rap mogul Suge Knight behind wheel of truck in deadly hit-and-run, lawyer says
- Rod McKuen, mega-selling poet and performer, dies at 81
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons to play God in Broadway show
- Check Out Padma Lakshmi's Bikini Bottoms: Her Friend Thinks It Looks Like She Has a Penis!
- Scandal Just Delivered One of The Most Heartbreaking & Heart-Racing Episodes of TV We've Ever Seen
- How to Get Away With Murder Introduces Its New Big Bad: What You Need to Know and Why You Should Be Nervous