Is MTV's 'Skins' Straddling Child Pornography Laws?
By Kiki Von Glinow Posted Jan 20th 2011 09:20PM
But American teens better TiVo the first two episodes before network execs force producers to tone down the heavy petting and nudity. The show has been labeled by some -- including The New York Times -- as a flagrant display of child pornography.
Featuring scenes that simulate masturbation, sex and drug use, it sounds like just another day at the 'Jersey Shore.' But MTV's other scandal-saturated reality shows all feature actors/reality stars who are at least 18 years old. 'Skins' boasts a bevy of fresh-faced actors, some as young as 15.
Check out the full series premiere episode ... after the jump!
The third episode, set to debut on Jan. 31, follows Chris, played by Jesse Carere, who, after experimenting with erectile dysfunction pills, runs down the street naked, exposing his 17-year-old bum. The episode spawned a vehement reaction from the Parents Television Council, who called the show the "most dangerous program that has ever been foisted on your children." Now it's set to be toned down before it airs.
'Skins' carries a rating of TV-MA (meant for those above 17 years old) and scored killer ratings with its premiere episode, but the Times cites analysts saying at least 1 million of the new 'Skins' enthusiast viewers were under 17.
With allegations of violating child pornography statutes, it seems as though the notoriously envelope-pushing network will not be able to keep up with the show's original plot lines (the premiere American episode was almost identical to its British original) that British audiences enjoyed. The U.K. is famously more accepting of televised eroticism.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Anne V Is Dating N.Y. Mets Player Matt Harvey: PDA Picture!
- Hangover Part III Review: Tired and Uninspired
- Zach Sobiech Funeral: Congregation Sings "Clouds" in Touching Goodbye
- Split? What Split?! George Clooney And Stacy Keibler ‘Still Together’, Despite Mark Wahlberg’s Slip Of The Tongue
- Stars React to Boy Scout Gay Policy Amendment
- Meow! Gordon Ramsay Is ‘A Ginger Head Troll’ Who Is ‘Obsessed With My Husband’s Balls,’ Says Amy’s Baking Company Owner
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?