Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Saddam Hussein in 'The Dictator'
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Jan 20th 2011 07:15PM
Cohen is set to star in a comedy inspired by a book thought to be written by Hussein titled 'Zabibah and the King,' BBC reports. The book was a best-seller in Iraq back in 2000.
Paramount Pictures joked that the film would "tell the heroic story of a dictator who risked his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed." Writers Alec Berg, Jeff Schaffer and David Mandel, who all work for 'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' have signed on to write the script.
'The Dictator' is scheduled to be released in theaters May 11, 2012. It will be directed by Larry Charles, who has worked with Cohen on both 'Bruno' and 'Borat.'
Cohen will also play the role of Freddie Mercury in a 'Queen' biopic. He married actress Isla Fisher in March 2010. Fisher converted to Judaism so that she and Cohen could raise their child, born in summer of 2010, in the Jewish faith.
Cohen has also been the center of several lawsuits for his over-the-top characters' real-life interactions.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bobbi Kristina Brown death photo sold as family attends funeral
- Mike Huckabee shares his favorite movie, TV show and band
- Wife: Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka diagnosed with stomach cancer
- 'The Man in the High Castle' Creator Frank Spotnitz on Creating Alternate Histories
- See Beatrice Borromeo's Second Wedding Gown
- 'Hand of God' Star Ron Perlman Praises Amazon's "Uncompromising Values"
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li