Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Saddam Hussein in 'The Dictator'
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Jan 20th 2011 07:15PM
Cohen is set to star in a comedy inspired by a book thought to be written by Hussein titled 'Zabibah and the King,' BBC reports. The book was a best-seller in Iraq back in 2000.
Paramount Pictures joked that the film would "tell the heroic story of a dictator who risked his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed." Writers Alec Berg, Jeff Schaffer and David Mandel, who all work for 'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' have signed on to write the script.
'The Dictator' is scheduled to be released in theaters May 11, 2012. It will be directed by Larry Charles, who has worked with Cohen on both 'Bruno' and 'Borat.'
Cohen will also play the role of Freddie Mercury in a 'Queen' biopic. He married actress Isla Fisher in March 2010. Fisher converted to Judaism so that she and Cohen could raise their child, born in summer of 2010, in the Jewish faith.
Cohen has also been the center of several lawsuits for his over-the-top characters' real-life interactions.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza spared prison over campaign funds violation
- Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn to star in season 2 of HBO's 'True Detective' series
- Sex Comedy 'The Little Death' Goes to Magnolia
- It's Official: Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn to Star in 'True Detective'
- TV News' Climate Change Coverage Tends to Focus on Disasters, Study Says
- Netflix has a website for people who love spoilers
- Robin Williams' Mork spacesuit is going up for auction
- Ana Gasteyer apologizes to (and cooks with) Martha Stewart
- Jon Hamm Told His Girlfriend How 'Mad Men' Ends
- 'Taken 3' Is Now Known as 'Tak3n,' May Be Last in Franchise
- Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell Confirmed for 'True Detective' Season 2