Ricky Gervais on Golden Globes: 'I'm Not Sorry'
"I'm not sorry for anything I said, because I'm not going to apologize for being true to myself," Gervais said. "I don't care what people think of me. I care if I've done a good job, and I care if I've told the truth."
Gervais has come under fire for crossing the line at the annual awards show, which was broadcast worldwide. The comedian took jabs at actor Charlie Sheen's latest scandal, Robert Downey Jr.'s arrest record, Hugh Hefer's new engagement and the failure of 'The Tourist,' among many others. See video of Gervais on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' inside.
Many people, including some celebs in the audience, took offense to some of his jokes, but that doesn't seem to bother Gervais.
"Just because you're offended, it doesn't mean you're in the right," Gervais told Morgan. "A lot of people are offended by mixed marriage. It doesn't mean they're right."
One star who voiced his apparent displeasure at some of Gervais' act was Robert Downey Jr. After the comedian joked about Downey's past addiction problems before introducing him on stage, the unhappy star quipped back.
"Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited, with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far, wouldn't you?" Downey said to the audience.
Gervais believes Downey was joking and isn't upset about the jokes.
"Why would he be?" Gervais asked Morgan. "He's Robert Downey Jr. He's the coolest man in the world. Why would he care?"
Even though some of his jokes were deemed "too close to the line," Gervais maintains his act wasn't malicious.
"There's nothing you shouldn't joke about," he said. "It depends what the joke is. Comedy comes from a good or a bad place, and I like to think that mine comes from a good place."
In case you missed it, check out some of Gervais' act from the Gloden Globes below.
MORE ABOUT Ricky Gervais
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Ricky Gervais Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Selena Gomez Is Caught With Her Fly Down at LAX: See the Wardrobe Malfunction!
- Top Street Artists Battle It Out in Oxygen's New Competition Series Street Art Throwdown -- Watch a Sneak Peek Here!
- Zoe Saldana, Kristen Bell Proudly Flaunt Baby Bumps On Red Carpets in Elegant Gowns: See the Glowing Stars
- Charlie Sheen: I Was Not High & I Did Not Pull A Knife On My Dentist!
- Giuliana And Bill Rancic Team Up With Nescaf
- Lecrae: I put faith in hip-hop
- 'Crotch grab challenge' starting to go viral with celebrities
- Hollywood's rush to 'the rapture'
- Adam Sandler to Make Four New Movies for Netflix, Will Produce and Star in the Feature Films
- The Royals Secrets Revealed: A Forbidden Love Triangle, a Fight for the Crown and Much More—See the Exciting Photos!
- Selena Gomez Talks About Her Transitional Year: I Don't Handle Fame as Well as People Think