Roger Ebert's Triumphant Return to Television
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Jan 21st 2011 06:14PM
The iconic face of film criticism made his triumphant return to television Friday night in his PBS show 'Ebert Presents at the Movies.' With the help of a facial prosthesis and a computer-generated voice, the TV veteran was as exuberant and opinionated as ever.
He described the prosthesis as "a pleasant reminder of the person I was for 64 years" and said his doctors did a "pretty wonderful damn job" creating it.
Beside him were co-hosts Christy Lemire of The Associated Press and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky of Mubi.com. The show was taped where Ebert and the late Gine Siskel filmed their original reviews 35 years ago.
Ebert lost part of his lower jaw to thyroid cancer in 2006, taking away his ability to speak or eat. The lifesaving procedure definitely introduced new obstacles into the 68-year-old's life, but he never wanted want to be pitied.
He returned to work in May 2007, publishing his weekly reviews in the Chicago Sun Times and actively writing for his website. In 2010, he published a cookbook, despite the fact he can no longer enjoy eating, which is one of his favorite past times.
Ebert's first review Friday night was a glowingly positive one of the animated film 'My Dog Tulip.' The movie is about the relationship between a man and his dog, and Ebert cleverly closed out the segment reminding us that, "Sometimes life is a b*tch."
Ebert's been married to Chaz Hammel-Smith, an attorney, for the past 18 years. The two reside in Chicago. Ebert's dry wit and candid reviews have garnered the critic over 300,000 followers on Twitter.
Only weeks ago, Ebert was up in arms over the censorship of 'Huck Finn,' which was met by significant criticism from opposing viewpoints.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian's Selfish Book Wasn't a Flop After All: Details!
- UnReal Costars Freddie Stroma and Johanna Braddy Are Dating: Photo, Details!
- Zayn Malik, Perrie Edwards Were "On the Rocks for a Long Time" Pre-Split: She "Put Up With So Much"
- Kim Kardashian's selfie book 'Selfish' didn't sell
- Kelly Osbourne's comments on 'The View' offend
- Designer Arnold Scaasi dies at 85
- Ray Rice Speaks Out About His Domestic Violence: I Can Understand Some People Will Never Forgive Me—Watch Now
- Perrie Edwards Breaks Silence on Zayn Malik Split, Plus Find Out How She's Coping Post-Breakup
- 10 Reasons the Suicide Squad Is Our Ultimate #SquadGoals