Judd Apatow, Host of Producers Guild Awards, Slams Ricky Gervais
By Christine Fenno Posted Jan 23rd 2011 11:09AM
Of course, the elephant in the room was last week's controversial Golden Globes -- in fact, the PGA's took place in the very same Beverly Hilton ballroom -- and Apatow wasted no time slamming that show's emcee, reportedly lacing his monologue with profanities in the process.
"What did you think of Ricky Gervais?" asked Apatow, according to The Hollywood Reporter. "I didn't like him. I thought he was mean."
One by one, he cut Gervais' wisecracks down to size. "He had that joke about the guy on 'Lost' [Jorge Garcia]," said Apatow. "He said he ate everybody else. Let's be honest: Ricky Gervais just lost weight. Even now, he's four pounds away from not being allowed to do a joke like that. Did he lose weight just to make fat jokes? You think that's how mean he is?"
And who can forget last week's uncomfortable Globes moment when Gervais questioned why 'The Tourist' nominees Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp were even invited? "[Gervais] says the characters were two-dimensional. ... Then he says he hasn't seen 'The Tourist.' So as a comedian, that's not fair, is it? To make jokes about a movie you haven't seen."
"I can't do a joke about [Gervais' 2009 film] 'The Invention of Lying' because I haven't seen it. You haven't seen it. None of us have seen it. So the joke would not work."
Apatow continued his tirade of gallantry: "[Gervais] made a joke about Tim Allen, who was standing next to Tom Hanks. Who looks good standing next to Tom Hanks? We all look like a piece of s**t standing next to Tom Hanks. ... Tim Allen did 200 episodes of 'Home Improvement.' He was in three of the highest-grossing movies of all time. And his latest just crossed the one billion mark. Whereas 'The Invention of Lying' made $18 million dollars worldwide ... Leave Tim Allen alone."
The Producers Guild Awards was a black-tie event, packed with celebs and industry power players, but wasn't broadcast for TV viewers. Indeed, leading up to the PGA's, host Apatow tweeted his disappointment in Gervais' Globes performance ("mean is too lazy for RG"), but acknowledged on Twitter that asking fans to submit material "better than Ricky Gervais' [jokes]" was merely "fanning controversy to help ratings for a show not being televised."
Winners at the 22nd Annual PGA's included producers of 'The King's Speech,' 'Toy Story 3,' 'Waiting for Superman,' 'Mad Men,' 'Modern Family,' 'The Pacific,' 'Deadliest Catch' and 'The Colbert Report.'
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
MORE ABOUT Ricky Gervais
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Ricky Gervais Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Katy Perry tapped to perform Super Bowl halftime show
- One Direction, Katy Perry each win three American Music Awards
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Rita Ora: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Role Has "Opened a Lot of Doors"
- Idris Elba Working on 'Luther'-Inspired Album
- AMAs Beauty: Taylor Schilling, Rita Ora Pair Pale Lips With Statement Eyes
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5, Episode 7 Recap: You're Not Holding it Right
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' Soars to the Top Spot
- 10 of the Greatest Movie Transformations Ever