Oprah Winfrey Reveals Surprise Half-Sister
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 24th 2011 10:14AM
Oprah Winfrey's big family secret? The talk-show queen announced on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' Monday that she has discovered a half-sister, named Patricia, who was secretly given up for adoption in 1963. Patricia, who lives in Milwaukee, said that she discovered Oprah was her half-sister while searching for her birth mother in 2007. She spent the next three years trying to contact Winfrey with the news and finally reached her late last year. They met on Thanksgiving Day.
Winfrey was 9 and living with her father, Vernon Winfrey, in 1963 and said she had no idea her mother, Vernita Lee, was even pregnant. According to Winfrey, her mother could not afford to keep Patricia.
In a confusing twist, Winfrey's previously known half-sister, who passed away in 2003, was also named Patricia and lived in Milwaukee. Oprah said that her mom did not name the daughter she gave away and that it was just a coincidence.
Patricia is believed to be 48 and has two adult children, a son and a daughter, meaning Winfrey has a niece and nephew to add to the family as well. Patricia said that she continued her quest to contact Winfrey so her children could know their aunt.
Winfrey praised her half-sister for not going to the press with the story.
"I was given some news that literally shook me to my core. This time, I'm the one being reunited," Winfrey said in advertisements for today's episode of 'Oprah.' "I was keeping a family secret for months, and on Monday you're going to hear it straight from me."
Earlier Monday, BlackVoices.com reported that Winfrey learned sometime around Thanksgiving of last year that her mother had another daughter. Winfrey, 56, believed for years that she was her parents' only surviving child after her two younger siblings, Jeffrey and Patricia, passed away.
As soon as Winfrey announced that she would reveal "news that literally shook me to my core" about "a family secret," the Internet lit up with speculation. "There has been speculation in the past that Vernon Winfrey is not her biological father," In Touch Weekly Senior Editor Amy Palmer told CBS News, "so this is something people are saying it could be."
Others -- including Kitty Kelley, who famously wrote an unauthorized biography of Winfrey last year -- had been correctly claiming that Winfrey would reveal a long-lost family member.
MORE ABOUT Oprah Winfrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Oprah Winfrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Middleton Plays Up Pregnant Bump at Queen Elizabeth's Garden Party: Pictures
- Kim Kardashian Makes "Final Trip" to Paris Before Baby's Birth: Pictures
- Nicole Richie: All About Her Crush-Worthy Summer Style
- Brad Pitt Says He Learned To Live In ‘A Humble Way’ From Former Fiancee Gwyneth Paltrow's Late Father
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Is Kellie Pickler the best winner ever?
- Cannes Film Festival: The best and worst dressed
- Marilyn Monroe photos stolen ahead of Prague exhibition
- Miranda Kerr's Nip Slip, Eva Longoria Goes Commado and More: See 2013's Best Wardrobe Malfunctions
- Brit Marling, Alexander Skarsgård Talk "Steamy Love Scenes" in The East; Plus, True Blood Tidbits
- Maya Rudolph and Danny McBride Recreate the Best Awkward Family Photos in GQ—Check it Out!