MSNBC Eyeing Alec Baldwin for Hosting Duties?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 25th 2011 03:44PM
Now that MSNBC has said goodbye to its top draw, Keith Olbermann, the news network is looking to find a new marquee star for its growing brand, and sources tell me their ultimate wish list is topped by none other than '30 Rock' star Alec Baldwin.
"He's already part of the NBC family, has a huge fan base and is very respected for his long term passions for politics," a network source tells me, adding that Alec is very high, perhaps even No. 1, on the wish lists of MSNBC bigwigs.
Alec, who plays a right-leaning media exec on the hilarious '30 Rock,' has expressed political aspirations before. But his recent discussion with CNN host Eliot Spitzer advanced that position.
"Yes, it's something that I'm very, very interested in," Alec, 52, answered when the governor-turned-host asked if politics was a "game" he wanted to enter. "To quit (acting) now when it really feels good and doing it feels good would be an enormously difficult thing to do. However, I do believe that people want to believe that someone who deeply cares about the middle class ... would like to seek public office."
A friend of Alec's tells me that if he opts out of politics (and acting, of course), a career as a cable news opinion host would suit him perfectly.
"He's brilliant on camera and honestly cares about news and fighting for the rights of everyday people," my source believes. "Don't count him out. There was a time when everyone said Alec would never do a sitcom, only movies. Those same people are saying he would never run for office or host a political show."
With Alec you should expect the unexpected!
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Politics -
- TV News -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Top News
MORE ABOUT Alec Baldwin
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Alec Baldwin Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- UnREAL: Watch the First 9 Minutes of Shiri Appleby, Constance Zimmer's New Show
- Taylor Swift: Being A Pop Star Is "Not That Hard"
- Kanye West Sends Kim Kardashian Gushing Anniversary Twitter Message One Day Late
- Best and worst celebrity beach bodies (okay mostly best)
- Bobby Flay and Stephanie March reportedly feuding over horse race winnings
- Demi Moore and Rumer Willis look identical in new pics
- Josh Groban Gushes About "Brilliant and Funny" Kat Dennings, Gets Scared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show—Watch!
- Even Taylor Swift's Mom Thought She Was Singing "Starbucks Lovers" in "Blank Space"
- Jessica Simpson's Daughter Maxwell Models a Swimsuit Just Like Her Mama—See the Pics!