WATCH: Ricky Gervais' 'Bitter Heart' Forgotten Pop Music Past
In 1982 during his senior year at university in England, Gervais and friend Bill Macrae formed a new wave synth-pop duo called Seona Dancing. So before Gervais was insulting movie stars and honing his comedic chops, he was quite seriously pursuing a career as a sex symbol and Billy-Idol-style singer.
Seona Dancing went on to be signed to London Records and released two singles: 'More to Lose' and 'Bitter Heart.'
Check out the video for 'Bitter Heart' below.
While 'Bitter Heart' only reached No. 70 on the British charts, it climbed to the top of the Filipino charts a year after its release. Sadly for Gervais, the DJ who started the trend played the song without identifying the group's name, so 'Seona Dancing' didn't get to bask in the glory of fame quite yet.
Those burned by Gervais at the Golden Globes can laugh that the smug host has some embarrassing skeletons in his closet. Gervais told David Letterman in 2008 that he was, at the time of the video above, "too handsome" to get laughs, and that getting fat helped him find success as a comedian.
Watch Gervais' interview with David Letterman after the jump.
MORE ABOUT Ricky Gervais
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Ricky Gervais Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bollywood actress sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in Pakistan
- FOX411's pic of the day
- '19 Kids & Counting's' cousin Amy Duggar reaches for Nashville dreams
- ?Star Wars' trailer wishlist: VII things we hope to see
- PopWatch Confessional: What are you thankful for this year?
- Is Jim Bob Duggar Trying to Set Up Daughter Jana with Celebrity?
- 'Extra' Trend Spotter: Great Boots by Born!
- Jennifer Lopez, Rosie O'Donnell and Others Share Their Slim-Down Secrets!