Debbie Gibson: Britney's Head-Shave Meltdown a 'Great Thing' for Her Career
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 28th 2011 12:40PM
EXCLUSIVE: Debbie Gibson and Tiffany look like a pair of singing angels compared to their teen-pop offspring Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus, but they tell me that doesn't mean they didn't have their share of meltdowns back in the 1980s, or that having such an epic, public scandal is even a bad thing for a career anymore.
"I had my meltdowns then and still have them now, but I just do them in private," Debbie says. Tiffany wholeheartedly agrees, saying if she would have done something like shave her head or smoke out of a bong during the height of her career, there wouldn't have been paparazzi or camera phones waiting to capture her every stumble.
Their squeaky clean images set them apart from their successors, but they're also fully aware that with scandal comes that compelling opportunity to redeem themselves. "We've never really gone off the deep end. People find that really un-interesting," Tiffany says.
Ultimately, Debbie argues that times have changed and that all the ups and down-down-downs that Britney has gone through in recent years have had a silver lining attached to them.
"It was a great thing for her next hit record," Debbie said of the Brit head-shaving disaster of 2007. "People were like, 'She's back. She's thriving again!' And then they want her to melt down again. And they want to lift her up again. I heard a great phrase once that goes, 'America loves a good comeback.'"
Debbie and Tiffany are out promoting their amazingly titled movie 'Mega Python vs. Gatoroid,' which premieres Saturday night on Syfy.
EARLIER EXCLUSIVE: Tiffany on Breaking, Dating and Outing 'Good Kisser' Jonathan Knight
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Music News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Videos -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sawyer Sweeten, 'Everybody Loves Raymond' child actor, dead at 19
- Comedian Artie Lange: It's not fair when people call me fat
- Mike Tyson doesn't bust a move on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Priscilla Presley Talks the King of Rock, and Las Vegas Elvis Exhibition
- Eva Longoria on Life at 40: 'I've Never Felt Better'
- Hollywood Reacts to Bruce Jenner's Diane Sawyer Interview
- Carole Middleton "Very Happy," Gets Blowout Before Kate Middleton Goes Into Labor With Second Royal Baby
- Owain Yeoman, Gigi Yallouz Welcome Daughter Ever Belle: Details
- Beyonce, Solange's Bridesmaid Style at Mom Tina Knowles' Wedding: Plus, See Blue Ivy's Sweet Dress!