Denise Richards 'Heartbroken,' Wants Charlie Sheen to Get Help for Kids' Sake
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 28th 2011 09:46AM
EXCLUSIVE: Within hours of being hospitalized Thursday morning, Charlie Sheen's ex-wife Denise Richards was at his bedside once again doing everything in her power to help the troubled father of their two daughters. Sources close to the actress tell me she has joined his famous father in calling for Charlie to enter rehab.
"Denise is heartbroken and fears the day when she gets the call saying Charlie is no longer alive," a friend of the actress tells me.
This time, I'm told, is different, and Denise has decided that she is going to do whatever it takes to make Charlie realize he needs help. First things first, she believes he needs a new inner circle of friends.
"Charlie surrounds himself with yes people," an insider tells me. "If you say no to him, then you are out of his life. Denise is one of the only people that could convince him. It wouldn't be the first time Denise has begged for him to get the help he needs, but everyone is hoping that this time he listens to her."
Charlie Sheen Snapshots
Charlie Sheen and his ex-wife Brooke Mueller in much, much better days. More Pics of the Actor >>
Getty Images for BASE Entertainm
Getty Images North America
Charlie left the hospital in secret Thursday night and his publicist, Stan Rosenfield, hinted that he has no plans to enter rehab. "He will be on the set of 'Two and a Half Men' on Tuesday," he said in a statement.
After three years of marriage, Denise and Charlie went through a bitter public divorce that was finalized in November 2006. At first, the couple agreed to shared custody of daughters Sam, 6, and Lola, 5, but last year Charlie signed parental rights over to Denise.
Charlie's prolonged meltdown, which came to a head during his rampage in a NYC hotel back in October, is putting the brutally honest Denise in an awkward position with her kids.
"It is becoming harder and harder for Denise to protect her daughters from what's going on as they get older," the star's close friend tells me. "She's an amazing mother and will not let Charlie leave these two beautiful little angels without a father. If she can't convince Charlie to get help simply because it's what he needs, then she hopes he will for the sake of his daughters."
It was a hernia that triggered the "severe abdominal pains" that sent Charlie to the hospital after a 36-hour party bender that reportedly included doing cocaine and watching porn with at least five women.
But Sheen's publicist tells me, "I have no firsthand knowledge of any of this. I have heard all of rumors you have. He [Charlie] has had a history of having this type of hernia, and the person who made the 911 call said he had severe stomach pains and said it was from a hernia condition. Since she is not a doctor, I did not extend her medical knowledge to the media."
According to PEOPLE, it was Dr. Paul Nassif and his wife Adrienne Maloof-Nassif, two stars of Bravo 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' and Sheen's neighbors, who called for help.
Good luck, Denise. The time has come for someone (and it's not going to be CBS as long as Charlie remains a ratings powerhouse) to save Charlie from himself.
- Filed under:
- Movie News -
- CelebRehab -
- Health Issues -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Denise Richards
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Denise Richards Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Raises Awareness About Sexual Assault After Niece is Given Date-Rape Drug
- Bachelorette Season 10 Men Tell All Recap: Lie Detector Results Revealed as Old Fights Spark Up Again
- 5 Seconds of Summer: 5 Things to Know About the Australian Pop Band
- Upcoming Book Details Secret Service's Maneuverings To Hide Bill Clinton's Hot ?Energizer’ Mistress From Hillary
- Girl Went Wild! Woman Who Sued Joe Francis And Won Is Looking To Collect Her Winnings ASAP!
- Diva Decisions: Madonna Refuses To Participate In Deposition In Hard Candy Lawsuit ? READ The Documents!
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Tears, argument and an ultrasound at 'Men Tell All'
- Can Sherri Shepherd walk away from unborn surrogate child?
- Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson to guest-star on final season of FX's 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Sneek Peak: An Angry Bird Lands on MTV's Finding Carter—Watch the Clip!
- Joan Rivers Tells Jennie Garth That She Looks Like a "Prostitute on a Safari"—See the Outrageous Moment!
- Spoiler Chat: Scoop on Scandal, Supernatural, Sons of Anarchy, The Originals and More