'The King's Speech' Pulls Ahead in Oscar Race With Directing Award
By Moviefone Editors Posted Jan 30th 2011 11:01AM
That makes 'Speech' the clear Oscar frontrunner. As Deadline wisely notes on its official listing of the Guild's 2011 winners, only six times in history has the DGA winner not won the Academy Award for Best Director.
Kudos to Hooper and his 'Speech' team, including stars Colin Firth, Helena Bonham Carter and Geoffrey Rush (all nominees at tonight's SAG Awards). They're picking up steam at precisely the right time, as the race for the Best Picture Oscar escalates toward the Feb. 27 Academy Awards.
Other DGA winners include Charles Ferguson for the documentary 'Inside Job,' and Mick Jackson for the nonfiction HBO miniseries 'Temple Grandin,' starring Claire Danes. And Martin Scorsese took home a trophy for directing the inaugural episode of HBO's 'Boardwalk Empire,' starring Steve Buscemi.
Read more from Moviefone >>>
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
MORE ABOUT Colin Firth
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Colin Firth Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Comic Jon Rudnitsky joins 'Saturday Night Live' cast
- President to take wilderness trip with Bear Grylls
- Danica McKellar joins 2016 Miss America competition as judge
- China Box Office: 'Terminator Genisys' Marches Towards $100M
- Chris Christie to Jimmy Fallon on Donald Trump's Success: "Life Is a Strange, Strange Ride"
- 'Coach' Follow-Up Dead at NBC
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Bill Murray Reveals Why He Took a 'Ghostbusters' Cameo
- President Obama Will Go 'Running Wild with Bear Grylls' in Alaska
- 9 Celebs We Want to See on 'Dancing With the Stars'