Can Katie Couric Replace Oprah as Queen of Daytime?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 31st 2011 05:01PM
As the brilliant Katie Couric nears the end of a five-year contract that paid her $15 million this year alone, sources tell me the former queen of morning TV is already mapping out her next job: filling the talk-show void when Oprah ends her show.
"No doubt, Oprah leaving her show is going to cause a huge gap in daytime talk, and the only person who could hope to fill her shoes is Katie Couric," a TV insider tells me. "Katie is going to bolt CBS News when her contract expires and start a new chapter of her TV life. Everyone knows she has the talent; now it's just finding the right show for her to do and surrounding herself with the best people to pull it all together."
Which is why Katie is in talks with her former 'TODAY' show executive producer, Jeff Zucker, who just stepped down as Universal CEO to start his own production company.
"Nothing would make Jeff happier than to be reunited with Katie and creating a new talk show format that could replace Oprah when she leaves," an insider tells me.
With the exception of Oprah, are there many people who do a better interview than Katie? "You only have to look at her historic interview with Sarah Palin to see how she gets behind the press answers to reveal the real person," my source says.
Well, Jeff, if I were a betting man, there is no one I would put my money on more than Katie, whose spokesman said she has not yet made any decisions about her future.
MORE ABOUT Katie Couric
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Katie Couric Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North in Skunk Costume; See How the Today Show Celebrated Halloween: Top 5 Stories
- Heidi Klum Dresses as a Butterfly for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Happy Halloween! Check Out Kim Kardashian, Lea Michele, Justin Bieber and More Stars in Costume!
- Melanie Griffith on Who She'd Like to Date Next and Why She'll Never Watch Daughter Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey
- Chris Brown Talks All Things Rihanna: The Assault, Their Relationship, Drake and More—Watch Now!