Can Katie Couric Replace Oprah as Queen of Daytime?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 31st 2011 05:01PM
As the brilliant Katie Couric nears the end of a five-year contract that paid her $15 million this year alone, sources tell me the former queen of morning TV is already mapping out her next job: filling the talk-show void when Oprah ends her show.
"No doubt, Oprah leaving her show is going to cause a huge gap in daytime talk, and the only person who could hope to fill her shoes is Katie Couric," a TV insider tells me. "Katie is going to bolt CBS News when her contract expires and start a new chapter of her TV life. Everyone knows she has the talent; now it's just finding the right show for her to do and surrounding herself with the best people to pull it all together."
Which is why Katie is in talks with her former 'TODAY' show executive producer, Jeff Zucker, who just stepped down as Universal CEO to start his own production company.
"Nothing would make Jeff happier than to be reunited with Katie and creating a new talk show format that could replace Oprah when she leaves," an insider tells me.
With the exception of Oprah, are there many people who do a better interview than Katie? "You only have to look at her historic interview with Sarah Palin to see how she gets behind the press answers to reveal the real person," my source says.
Well, Jeff, if I were a betting man, there is no one I would put my money on more than Katie, whose spokesman said she has not yet made any decisions about her future.
MORE ABOUT Katie Couric
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Katie Couric Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Real Housewives of Atlanta New Cast: See All of the Women of Season 7 in First Photos
- Cara Delevingne and Kate Moss Look Gorgeous in New Burberry Fragrance Campaign
- Jill Duggar Reveals Pregnancy Cravings, Gives Unborn Child Funny Nickname With Husband Derick Dillard
- Kim Kardashian Wears Chainmail While Kanye West Smiles At GQ Men Of The Year Awards
- Angelina Jolie Honors Late Mother At Her Nuptials To Brad Pitt
- In The Midst Of Drugging Scandal, TBS Cancels Cee Lo Green’s ‘The Good Life’
- Alleged hacked McKayla Maroney pics banned from Reddit; site says she would be underage in them
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
- Kate Hudson Slams Eating Disorder Rumors, Says "I Want Girls to Love Themselves"
- Roxy Sowlaty Attempts to Burn Shoes From Her Ex-Boyfriend—See the #RichKids of Beverly Hills Deleted Scene!
- Jill Duggar Reveals Her Pregnancy Cravings, Says "All Day" Morning Sickness Is ''Well Worth It''