Skylar Grey Releases Original Version of Rihanna and Eminem Hit 'Love The Way You Lie' -- Song Premiere
Most people have yet to learn the name Skylar Grey, but PopEater promises you've heard her work. The talented songwriter penned all three parts of the Grammy-nominated Eminem and Rihanna smash, 'Love the Way You Lie,' and sings on tracks like the Diddy and Dirty Money collaboration 'Coming Home' and the current Dr. Dre and Eminem single, 'I Need a Doctor.'
Despite her Grammy nods for writing, Grey -- whose real name is Holly Hafferman -- says that's not her main focus. "I'm not primarily a songwriter for other people," she tells PopEater. "I really am an artist." In fact, the Rihanna version of 'Love the Way You Lie' was never intended for the pop diva. "I wrote the demo initially for myself because I thought, 'Oh, I have this big song, and now I have a little bit of a launching pad to put out my own stuff,'" she says. "As soon as Rihanna and her team heard my demo, they were like, 'Oh, we want it for Rihanna's album,' so I had to make the decision if I was going to let them have it or not. But I did and so it was on Rihanna's album, too."
Now fans can decide for themselves if Grey made the right choice as PopEater has the premiere of her beautiful piano-driven demo of the smash. "I still felt like it would be cool to let people hear my version of it, too," Grey says of why she's putting it out now.
It's also debuting two weeks before the Grammys, which will be a coming out of sorts for Grey, who has never been to the awards. "I've actually made it a point not to go to the Grammys in the past, even when I could've just hung out there," she says. "I thought if I was ever nominated, I was going to jinx myself, so I've never gone."
This all marks a new chapter for Grey, who went by the name Holly Brook earlier in her career, releasing an album and guesting on the Fort Minor hit 'Where'd You Go.' "Holly Brook is dead," she says simply of her past.
If Brook's career is indeed kaput, Grey's is just beginning. The singer-songwriter is teaming with producer Alex da Kid on her debut as Skylar Grey. "We're in the very early stages," she says of the album. "I can tell you that we're probably going to do a few songs that are similar to my hooks on these songs, but full-length versions. The sound of the 'I Need a Doctor' chorus, I'm probably gonna have some songs that similarly sound like that, but instead of rapping, it'll be me singing the verses."
"I don't really want to specify what my music sounds like 'cause we're still kind of searching," she says. "We're doing a lot of experimenting right now. It's a lot edgier."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Khloe Kardashian shows Lamar Odom what he's missing
- Mariska Hargitay works to get backlog of rape tests in Detroit processed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?Between Two Ferns' director Scott Aukerman on how they got Obama to laugh at himself
- Matthew McConaughey's ?Wolf of Wall Street' chest thump gets a remix ? VIDEO
- Jennifer Lopez says she would let both Ben Affleck and Diddy (hypothetically) drown ? VIDEO
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jimmy Fallon and Jon Hamm Photobomb Tourists!
- Pic! Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Spied in NYC
- Bachelor Juan Pablo's Obscene Comment to Clare Crawley, Celebs React to His Pick: Top Stories
- Jake Gyllenhaal Dances Around Naked, Bangs on Pans on Film Set: See the Bizarre Pictures
- Simon Cowell's Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Shows Off Post-Baby Body in Sheer Top: See the Look!