Report: Dr. Phil Sued by Former Best Friend for Dog Attack
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Feb 3rd 2011 08:04PM
And now it seems Dr. Phil's own dog has gotten the TV personality in some trouble. RadarOnline.com reports that the Oprah-made self-help guru and his wife Robin McGraw are being sued for personal injuries and damages after their dog allegedly attacked and injured their former best friend.
Janet Harris has filed suit against the McGraws in Santa Monica, Calif., claiming the couple's gross negligence resulted in serious injuries. According to court documents obtained by RadarOnline.com, Harris was brutally mauled by the McGraws' dog Maggie without provocation or warning.
The lawsuit claims that the dog bite caused uncontrollable bleeding from deep puncture wounds, as well as cuts and abrasions inflicted on her arm and hand. Harris' lawyers said that "complications from the dog bite injuries forced Janet to seek emergency medical treatment and required extended home nursing care to recover from an incapacitating infection called pasteurella multocida ... [She] spent seven days attached to an IV as well as being prescribed steroids and antibiotics."
The lawyers also claims that "the McGraws allegedly refused to provide compensation or assistance to Janet to aid with her illness, instead leaving her to deal with mounting health problems and financial burdens alone."
Maggie, the dog who allegedly inflicted the injuries, was adopted from a local shelter in 2009 and is often described as Dr. Phil's "constant companion." The pooch is a rare purebred Korean Jindo, a kind of hunting dog that can be territorial and unpredictable around strangers. Maggie even has her own page on Dr. Phil's website and has been a guest on his popular daytime show.
Janet Harris has also appeared as a guest on Dr. Phil's show. Her lawyer claims that "as a result of the injuries sustained, she was unable to maintain her livelihood, culminating in the loss of her business and indefinite inability to earn a living practicing her trade. She seeks compensation for general damages, medical treatment costs, loss of earnings, and pain and suffering."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lisa Vanderpump on Vanderpump Rules New Season "I'm Not Proud of Their Behavior"
- Jessa Duggar, Ben Seewald Run Errands Together Day Before Their Wedding -- See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian Wears Skeleton Costume for "First" Look of Halloween Night -- See the Pic!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Wait, So Why Was Amanda Bynes Released From a Psychiatric Hold Right After It Was Extended? Here's How She Got Out Early & What's Next
- Robin Thicke Being Exploited by Marvin Gaye Family's Lawsuit? "We Didn't Inject His Issues Into the Case," Attorney Says
- Giuliana Rancic Gets Terrified and Screams Obscenities During Scary E! News Prank—Watch the Hilarious Clip!