Report: Dr. Phil Sued by Former Best Friend for Dog Attack
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Feb 3rd 2011 08:04PM
And now it seems Dr. Phil's own dog has gotten the TV personality in some trouble. RadarOnline.com reports that the Oprah-made self-help guru and his wife Robin McGraw are being sued for personal injuries and damages after their dog allegedly attacked and injured their former best friend.
Janet Harris has filed suit against the McGraws in Santa Monica, Calif., claiming the couple's gross negligence resulted in serious injuries. According to court documents obtained by RadarOnline.com, Harris was brutally mauled by the McGraws' dog Maggie without provocation or warning.
The lawsuit claims that the dog bite caused uncontrollable bleeding from deep puncture wounds, as well as cuts and abrasions inflicted on her arm and hand. Harris' lawyers said that "complications from the dog bite injuries forced Janet to seek emergency medical treatment and required extended home nursing care to recover from an incapacitating infection called pasteurella multocida ... [She] spent seven days attached to an IV as well as being prescribed steroids and antibiotics."
The lawyers also claims that "the McGraws allegedly refused to provide compensation or assistance to Janet to aid with her illness, instead leaving her to deal with mounting health problems and financial burdens alone."
Maggie, the dog who allegedly inflicted the injuries, was adopted from a local shelter in 2009 and is often described as Dr. Phil's "constant companion." The pooch is a rare purebred Korean Jindo, a kind of hunting dog that can be territorial and unpredictable around strangers. Maggie even has her own page on Dr. Phil's website and has been a guest on his popular daytime show.
Janet Harris has also appeared as a guest on Dr. Phil's show. Her lawyer claims that "as a result of the injuries sustained, she was unable to maintain her livelihood, culminating in the loss of her business and indefinite inability to earn a living practicing her trade. She seeks compensation for general damages, medical treatment costs, loss of earnings, and pain and suffering."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jada Pinkett Smith: Will Smith Has Me "On Lockdown," Knows I Wouldn't Cheat on Him
- Britney Spears Recreates Oops Album Cover With Sons Jayden and Sean in Cute Twitter Photo
- Elizabeth Olsen Has Marilyn Monroe Moment in Paris, Flashes Nude-Colored Underwear
- Diana Douglas, first wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Stars in stripes
- Illinois city condemns Dick Van Dyke's childhood home
- The Bachelor Star Rachel Truehart Is Getting Married: See Her Stunning Engagement Ring!
- Hillary Clinton and Ellen DeGeneres Provide Hope to Gay Teen Seen in Viral Humans of New York Post
- Elizabeth Olsen Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction in Paris on the 4th of July—See the Photo!