Report: Dr. Phil Sued by Former Best Friend for Dog Attack
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Feb 3rd 2011 08:04PM
And now it seems Dr. Phil's own dog has gotten the TV personality in some trouble. RadarOnline.com reports that the Oprah-made self-help guru and his wife Robin McGraw are being sued for personal injuries and damages after their dog allegedly attacked and injured their former best friend.
Janet Harris has filed suit against the McGraws in Santa Monica, Calif., claiming the couple's gross negligence resulted in serious injuries. According to court documents obtained by RadarOnline.com, Harris was brutally mauled by the McGraws' dog Maggie without provocation or warning.
The lawsuit claims that the dog bite caused uncontrollable bleeding from deep puncture wounds, as well as cuts and abrasions inflicted on her arm and hand. Harris' lawyers said that "complications from the dog bite injuries forced Janet to seek emergency medical treatment and required extended home nursing care to recover from an incapacitating infection called pasteurella multocida ... [She] spent seven days attached to an IV as well as being prescribed steroids and antibiotics."
The lawyers also claims that "the McGraws allegedly refused to provide compensation or assistance to Janet to aid with her illness, instead leaving her to deal with mounting health problems and financial burdens alone."
Maggie, the dog who allegedly inflicted the injuries, was adopted from a local shelter in 2009 and is often described as Dr. Phil's "constant companion." The pooch is a rare purebred Korean Jindo, a kind of hunting dog that can be territorial and unpredictable around strangers. Maggie even has her own page on Dr. Phil's website and has been a guest on his popular daytime show.
Janet Harris has also appeared as a guest on Dr. Phil's show. Her lawyer claims that "as a result of the injuries sustained, she was unable to maintain her livelihood, culminating in the loss of her business and indefinite inability to earn a living practicing her trade. She seeks compensation for general damages, medical treatment costs, loss of earnings, and pain and suffering."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Emily VanCamp "Absolutely" Wants Babies; Revenge Star Dating Costar Josh Bowman Since 2012
- Liam Hemsworth Says "There's No Bad Blood" With Miley Cyrus, Jokes He Was a "Devil Child"
- Kaley Cuoco's $250 Gym Ensemble: See Her Rocker Workout Style!
- Lock ?Em Up! Prosecutors Ask Judge To Sentence Both Teresa & Joe Giudice To Prison Terms
- Is She Cracking Under Pressure? ?Long Island Medium' Theresa Caputo Reveals Her Secret Meltdowns ?Crying Spells, Anxiety Attacks & Sleepless Nights? In New Tell-All
- Taking ?Responsibility': Michael Phelps Admits He Is ?Deeply Sorry' For Humiliating DUI In Earnest Tweets ? Does He Mean It?
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Anita Baker sued by lawyer who claims she owes him money
- Country trio Lady Antebellum's adult sound on new album '747'