Jane Velez-Mitchell: 'Too Many' People Being Born
She tells me that in 'Addict Nation,' "I've got a blueprint for change, but first we must see what is really going on."
In a particularly interesting section, Jane devotes a whole chapter on the hot-button issue of overpopulation in the world. The "out" lesbian, animal protection advocate, vegan and recovering alcoholic with over 15 years of sobriety, wonders boldly if homosexuality is nature's way of "providing balance" and encourages the adoption of the parentless.
"Much of the human suffering today is caused by the fact that we simply have too many human beings being born into a world that doesn't want them and can't even feed them," Jane tells me. "One child dies every 5 seconds as a result of hunger. Because of our consumer lifestyle, environmentalists estimate having one child in the U.S. is equal, in terms of the impact on the environment, to having about 40 kids in a developing country."
"Overpopulation is a problem that is guaranteed to threaten the human species (not to mention all the other species we're taking down with us). Nature invariably comes up with solutions to problems that spring up in the environment. It's called 'carrying capacity' in the animal kingdom. The carrying capacity of a species is the number of individuals the environment can sustain. This is Mother Nature in her most efficient form. If the population gets to be too much, nature has a bag of tricks to help control things. It is interesting that the world's gay rights movement is surging at the very moment in history when our global population is soaring. Is nature providing balance by offering an alternative for coupling that precludes procreation in its traditional form and even encourages adoption of the parentless?"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gabrielle Union, Dwyane Wade Hold Rehearsal Dinner in Miami Before Wedding: Photos
- Mary-Kate Olsen Competes in Hamptons Horse Show: Photos
- Vanessa Lachey Baby Bump: Pregnant Star Steps Out in Beverly Hills
- Kings of Leon play first show since drummer's injury
- Report: Jon Bon Jovi axed from group bidding for Buffalo Bills
- Ferguson shooting: Hip-hop moves as strong force for Michael Brown
- Kathy Griffin Completes the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Naked on Jimmy Kimmel Live—Watch Now!
- Kate Gosselin's Kids Are Growing Up So Fast—See The Family's First Day of School Pic!
- Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Look Madly in Love at Wedding Rehearsal Dinner—See the Pics!