Jane Velez-Mitchell: 'Too Many' People Being Born
She tells me that in 'Addict Nation,' "I've got a blueprint for change, but first we must see what is really going on."
In a particularly interesting section, Jane devotes a whole chapter on the hot-button issue of overpopulation in the world. The "out" lesbian, animal protection advocate, vegan and recovering alcoholic with over 15 years of sobriety, wonders boldly if homosexuality is nature's way of "providing balance" and encourages the adoption of the parentless.
"Much of the human suffering today is caused by the fact that we simply have too many human beings being born into a world that doesn't want them and can't even feed them," Jane tells me. "One child dies every 5 seconds as a result of hunger. Because of our consumer lifestyle, environmentalists estimate having one child in the U.S. is equal, in terms of the impact on the environment, to having about 40 kids in a developing country."
"Overpopulation is a problem that is guaranteed to threaten the human species (not to mention all the other species we're taking down with us). Nature invariably comes up with solutions to problems that spring up in the environment. It's called 'carrying capacity' in the animal kingdom. The carrying capacity of a species is the number of individuals the environment can sustain. This is Mother Nature in her most efficient form. If the population gets to be too much, nature has a bag of tricks to help control things. It is interesting that the world's gay rights movement is surging at the very moment in history when our global population is soaring. Is nature providing balance by offering an alternative for coupling that precludes procreation in its traditional form and even encourages adoption of the parentless?"
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Stephen Belafonte Addresses Mel B Abuse Claims: "Police Aren't Saying I Beat My Wife"
- Annie Movie Review: Quvenzhane Wallis' Revamp Is Desperately Aching to Be Hip
- The Interview's Theatrical Release Pulled: Celebrities Like Judd Apatow, Rob Lowe Are Appalled -- Read Their Shocked Tweets
- Rapper 'Bobby Shmurda' arrested in gang-related drug case
- Sony Pictures scraps Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview'
- 'Millionaire Hot Seat' contestant fails on first question
- Has the Ending for Serial Already Been Spoiled?!
- Jay Thomas "Meant No Ill" to Seth Rogen & James Franco With His Comments on CNN About Sony Hacking, Threat
- Jim Carrey's How the Grinch Stole Christmas vs. the Classic Cartoon: We Take a Hard Stance on Which is Better!