Wolfgang Puck Talks Chef Duties for Official Super Bowl and Oscars Parties
By Nicki Gostin Posted Feb 3rd 2011 06:00PM
Have you been sleeping much lately?
No. It's OK, we'll sleep when we are dead, a long time.
How many people are you cooking for at the Super Bowl?
We have a party for 3,500 for the NFL and another one for 800. It's going to be a wild weekend.
What are you making?
Some people are having buffets and some sit-down dinners. So some are having filet with sautéed spinach or a porterhouse steak with mushrooms. We have sides like mac and cheese and a crab salad.
Is it going to be more meat and potatoes?
It's a very man-oriented party for the Super Bowl, so it's more of a steakhouse atmosphere.
What are you serving for the Grammys?
We will set up huge buffets with different kinds of food. Comfort food like meatloaf and fried chicken. We also have Italian- and Asian-style buffets; plus we pass our pizzas around. We used to make chocolate records and Grammy statues.
You should do a chocolate iPod.
What are you making for the Oscars?
I haven't decided what we are going to make yet. Last year we had a black truffle chicken pot pie. We poached chickens, made a stock and a sauce with black truffles. It was great; people loved it. We could serve it hot. They cut into the puff pastry, and they said, "Wow, this is really amazing, and it's steaming hot."
Is that the hardest thing to do when you're serving that many people, keeping the food hot?
Exactly. We heat up the plates really high. That way when we put hot food on it, by the time it gets to the person, it's still hot.
If someone wants to host a Super Bowl party what would you recommend they serve?
I would make a buffet table -- a great meatloaf, slice it and have a mushroom sauce with it. Mac and cheese, which is really easy to do, a romaine salad, maybe some roasted vegetables. If you have the money it's easy to make roasted pork or beef rack, which you can slice. Also mashed potatoes are always easy to do.
What about an Oscar party?
You should make it more festive. Some wonderful champagne cocktails, finger food like potato with caviar, little bilinis with smoked salmon, make it a little more luxurious. For dessert, you can have a warm chocolate cake or a crumble or fruit cobbler with apples and pears and cranberries. You can serve it hot with vanilla ice cream.
What is your guilty pleasure?
Macaroons and chocolate truffles, but it has to be really good chocolate. It has to be really dark chocolate with a lot of flavor, and the macaroons, the same. I love Francois Payard's macaroons.
Do you hang out with fellow Austrian Arnold Schwarzenegger?
No, he is busy, I am busy. I get together with very few people because I am always in the restaurant.
Yummy! Celebrity Eats
Molly Ringwald and her husband, Panio Gianopoulos, are seen having lunch at "Sauce On Hampton" in Venice.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Middleton Debuts Baby Bump in First Red Carpet Appearance Since Pregnancy Announcement; See Her Stunning Gown!
- Matthew McConaughey Says Wife Camila Alves Pressured Him to Get Married: "Either S--t or Get Off the Pot"
- Kris Jenner Addresses Rumors of Bruce Jenner Dating Her Best Friend: "I Hope He's Doing His Thing and Having a Good Time"
- Best Moments of the 21st Annual ELLE Women In Hollywood Awards
- Good News For Amanda! Bynes' Drivers License Reinstated After DUI Arrest ? But She’s Still Hospitalized
- Lock Her Up! Prosecutors Tell Judge ?RHONJ' Star Teresa Giudice Needs Prison Time, Not A Halfway House ? Read The Blistering Letter
- The many faces of Renee Zellweger
- Alfonso Ribeiro dominates 'DWTS'
- Fans: Renee Zellweger nearly unrecognizable after mysterious facial changes