Model Gemma Ward Finally Talks About Tragic Relationship With Heath Ledger
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Feb 4th 2011 12:20AM
Ward tells Australia's Herald Sun newspaper that Ledger's death caused her to drop out of the media spotlight for several years. The model will make her theatrical debut at the Perth Theatre Company in Western Australia later this year.
"I have taken a break from the media spotlight for the past few years and it was something spurred by Heath's death," she said. "[Heath and I] first met in New York and we were both struggling with things that I won't get into, and we bonded over that."
Ward and Ledger met in November 2007. They spent Christmas together in Perth before they returned to New York. Ledger died from an accidental drug overdose on Jan. 22, 2008.
"The time we spent in Perth was incredible because we were both from Perth, and it was also a time when it was beautiful in Perth and both our families were there and we met each other's families," Ward said. "We were able to not be in any kind of a spotlight and not have to be meeting with people or be hounded by press or anything. We lived in a magical kind of world where we weren't intruded upon."
In 2009, rumors swirled that Ward was quitting modeling due to vicious attacks on her weight during her hiatus. But the model attributes the lengthy time she took off following Ledger's untimely passing to a need to address personal issues and figure out what she wanted from life.
"It was a reassessment of everything, and I've made a commitment to myself to address some things that were coming up to do with Heath's passing and also things that were troubling me before we met. So it was a retreat from many things in my life, and I did think it was important for me to focus on those things," said Ward, who also appears as a mermaid in the upcoming 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.'
"I didn't know how long it would take. I didn't know if it would solve anything, but I set out to focus inside myself."
Get more at StyleList >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Simon Cowell Organized Baby Shower for Pregnant Girlfriend Lauren Silverman: All the Details!
- Michelle Obama Stuns at Kennedy Center Honors in Sexy, Glam Gown: Pictures
- La Toya Jackson Marries Longtime Friend and Business Partner Jeffre Phillips
- Mary-Kate Olsen Appraising Neil Lane Rings; Is Engagement To Olivier Sarkozy Far Behind?
- On The Run: Thug Cops Say Attacked Paris Hilton's Brother Headed To Cuba, As Lindsay Lohan Faces Lawsuit For Reportedly ?Ordering' Attack
- Kandi Burruss Cries About Mama Joyce Haters, Says Her Mother ‘Can Have Whatever She Wants’
- Kanye West: 'I'm putting my life at risk' like a police officer with 'Yeezus' tour
- MTV reportedly cancels 'Teen Mom 3'
- Maxim Monday: Hot models, celebs and gals next door
- Ben Affleck Tells Playboy Why He Won't Act With Jennifer Garner Again, Thinks Daredevil Was Worse Than Gigli
- Jennifer Aniston's Holiday Party Brings Out Courteney Cox, Gwyneth Paltrow and More
- Spoiler Chat: Nashville's Shocking Death, Scoop on How I Met Your Mother's Spinoff and More!