Model Gemma Ward Finally Talks About Tragic Relationship With Heath Ledger
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Feb 4th 2011 12:20AM
Ward tells Australia's Herald Sun newspaper that Ledger's death caused her to drop out of the media spotlight for several years. The model will make her theatrical debut at the Perth Theatre Company in Western Australia later this year.
"I have taken a break from the media spotlight for the past few years and it was something spurred by Heath's death," she said. "[Heath and I] first met in New York and we were both struggling with things that I won't get into, and we bonded over that."
Ward and Ledger met in November 2007. They spent Christmas together in Perth before they returned to New York. Ledger died from an accidental drug overdose on Jan. 22, 2008.
"The time we spent in Perth was incredible because we were both from Perth, and it was also a time when it was beautiful in Perth and both our families were there and we met each other's families," Ward said. "We were able to not be in any kind of a spotlight and not have to be meeting with people or be hounded by press or anything. We lived in a magical kind of world where we weren't intruded upon."
In 2009, rumors swirled that Ward was quitting modeling due to vicious attacks on her weight during her hiatus. But the model attributes the lengthy time she took off following Ledger's untimely passing to a need to address personal issues and figure out what she wanted from life.
"It was a reassessment of everything, and I've made a commitment to myself to address some things that were coming up to do with Heath's passing and also things that were troubling me before we met. So it was a retreat from many things in my life, and I did think it was important for me to focus on those things," said Ward, who also appears as a mermaid in the upcoming 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.'
"I didn't know how long it would take. I didn't know if it would solve anything, but I set out to focus inside myself."
Get more at StyleList >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Heidi Klum Dresses as Fly-Like Insect for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!
- Lisa Vanderpump on Vanderpump Rules New Season "I'm Not Proud of Their Behavior"
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Melanie Griffith on Who She'd Like to Date Next and Why She'll Never Watch Daughter Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey
- Chris Brown Talks All Things Rihanna: The Assault, Their Relationship, Drake and More—Watch Now!
- Wait, So Why Was Amanda Bynes Released From a Psychiatric Hold Right After It Was Extended? Here's How She Got Out Early & What's Next