'Housewives' Insider: Bravo 'Jumped the Gun' on Rushing Premiere of 'NYC'
By Marc Schneider Posted Feb 4th 2011 02:15PM
EXCLUSIVE: Bravo set off a chorus of speculation on Wednesday when they announced that the premiere of one of their 'Housewives' franchises would be delayed in order to debut another. The cable network shocked fans and members of the cast when they said 'The Real Housewives of New York City' will not be hitting TV screens on Feb. 15, but instead will be pushed to March or April.
While it would seem Bravo wants to give their newest entry, 'RHO Miami,' which debuts Feb. 22, some time to shine, various reports floating around allege that Bravo was "a little worried" about the final product and that they thought the show "needs a lot of work and editing."
But a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells PopEater that it's far less scandalous than that. In previous seasons, there has always been a several-month break between the end of filming and the actual debut on Bravo. Normally, the lag hovers around three months, but sources tell us shooting for season four did not end until late January, making a Feb. 15 start date a bit unrealistic.
"It was very surprising when Bravo jumped the gun back in December and announced a mid-February premiere date," admits our source.
All Things 'Housewives'
'Real Housewives of New York City' star Kelly Bensimon visits NYC's Club 57 back on Dec. 4. Check out more shots of wives out and about >>
Getty Images North America
We're told that several members of the cast were "shocked" by the announcement, which reached them in an internal memo by Bravo executive vice president Andy Cohen. It said that they wanted "more time to make the show as GREAT and as big a hit as possible."
A press release emerged a few hours later announcing the premiere of the oft-delayed 'Miami' and the bumping of 'NYC.'
Cohen quickly tried to quiet the storm by releasing his own statement about the moves, saying he thought there was enough TV heat for both shows.
"No conspiracy here folks. We have an embarrassment of riches with Miami and New York and I assure you that the 'Real Housewives of NYC' will be well worth the wait and the 'Real Housewives of Miami' is hot, hot, hot," said Cohen. "Heaven knows we could use a bit of heat on the East Coast about right now."
Several cast members turned down our requests for comment on the moves, but Simon van Kempen, Alex McCord's husband, tells PopEater exclusively that he isn't worried about the quality of the show -- or the loss of one of its biggest stars.
"Having done the show for four seasons I am confident that this latest season is our best yet," he said. "Bethenny Frankel has moved on to her own show, and as other franchises have shown, the loss of one cast member has never affected how great they've been and our season four will be no different. I know that this season will rock!"
A friend of the departed Bethenny had a different take, telling PopEater's Naughty But Nice columnist Rob Shuter, "Without Bethenny the show doesn't work. It needs a lot of work."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Carrie Underwood Says "Mean People Need Jesus," Selena Gomez Curses Onstage: Top 5 Weekend Stories
- Miley Cyrus Rocks a Blonde Bob at a Christmas Music Festival: Picture
- Prince Harry's South Pole Excursion Delayed Due to Inclement Weather
- Kandi Burruss Cries About Mama Joyce Haters, Says Her Mother ‘Can Have Whatever She Wants’
- Fears HIV Outbreak In Porn ‘Could Be Major’: Infected Star Could Have Exposed BOTH Men & Women To Deadly Virus
- The Catfight Factory! Mama Joyce Attacks Kandi Burruss’ Assistant Carmon As ‘RHOA’ Star Shops For Wedding Dress
- 'Cherry Pie' girl Bobbi Brown: 'I wanted to shoot myself'
- Memorial for Paul Walker draws thousands in LA
- 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M in second week
- Britney Spears: Chaotic Reality Show With Kevin Federline Is the "Worst Thing I've Done in My Career"
- Justin Bieber's Mom Pattie Mallette: What She Thinks About Her Son's Tattoos, Becoming a Grandma
- WWE Diva Nattie Has to Euthanize Her Cat Because of Serious Health Issues—See the Full Total Divas Recap!