The Black Eyed Peas Bring Pop Back to the Super Bowl in a Halftime Show Free of Controversy
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 6th 2011 08:18PM
The Black Eyed Peas had the privilege of being the first pop act since Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake's 2004's Nipplegate to grace the Super Bowl halftime spot. But they also had the disadvantage of being the first act not playing their own instruments and as a result, often came off muted following memories of Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, The Who and Prince. But fans on Twitter and Facebook were blaming that more on a faulty mix.
Fergie and will.i.am. kicked off the elaborate show with 'I Gotta Feeling,' and as the medley went on to 'Boom Boom Pow,' the field at Cowboys Stadium became crowded with glowing dancers. The amount of performers made the show feel almost like an Olympics opening ceremony.
Slash rose from a lifter onto the stage and performed Guns N' Roses' 'Sweet Child O' Mine' with Fergie doing her best to pull off an Axl Rose impression.
Usher swarmed the stage to take 'OMG,' his hit with the Peas. The band, dancing on a glowing "Love" sign, united with the hundreds of dancers on 'The Time (Dirty Bit)' before wrapping it up with a reprise of 'I Gotta Feeling.'
On the televised broadcast, sound problems flooded the mix including Fergie's vocals coming in late on several songs. But nothing compared to the musical mayhem of Christina Aguilera's flubbed national anthem before the big game.
"So the Peas did not sound amazing, but they were very entertaining!" tweeted Perez Hilton. "Much better than The Who last year or Tom Petty before!"
"The Black Eyed Peas just kicked ass at the Super Bowl," raved Avril Lavigne. "Great performance!!!! It was perfect. The dancers were insane."
David Spade wasn't so kind: "wtf is usher doing here? Did black eyes peas run out of songs in 8 minutes?"
Fergie does not have a fan in funnyman Steve Martin either. "I learned so much about love during the halftime show," he tweeted. "And then at the end when it said, 'The Beginning,' I thought 'Wow.' Just. Wow."
Getty Images for Capital A
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- Music News
MORE ABOUT Fergie
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Fergie Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Queen Elizabeth II photobombs young tourists' selfie
- Alec Baldwin appears in NYC court after Shia LaBeouf leaves
- Long lines start early as Comic-Con floor opens and dedicated fans queue up for coveted toys
- Is Zoe Saldana Pregnant with Twins?
- Report: Oops! Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling's Baby Was Unplanned
- Shia LaBeouf in Court: Life Isn't a ?Cabaret' -- No Resolution Yet
- Queen Elizabeth II Photobombs a Selfie at the Commonwealth Games: See the Amazing Picture
- Erin Heatherton Goes Topless on a Horse, Rides a Horse Bareback for Buffalo David Bitton Campaign With Eric Decker
- Kim Kardashian Calls Khloe Kardashian a "Miserable Person" After Selfies Diss on Keeping Up With the Kardashians