The Black Eyed Peas Major Halftime Fail
By Jo Piazza Posted Feb 7th 2011 08:44AM
Pop-Ed: Forget the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Black Eyed Peas were the real losers of Super Bowl Sunday.
Nevermind that their costume designer opted to dress the Peas as alien invaders lined up to star in 'Tron 3.' Nevermind that the auxiliary dancers dressed as glow sticks. Nevermind that the V in the word "Love" never lit up during 'Where is the Love.'
What made the Black Eyed Peas halftime show so difficult to watch wasn't that they phoned it in. They didn't. BEP was trying really hard, and that's what made it sad.
Yes, what made it so bad was how much effort they put into their show and it still ended up sucking royally. When they weren't screaming over a sound system that failed early in the performance, the singers were off-key and occasionally off-verse.
The Black Eyed Peas ruined many good things besides halftime. Namely 'The Time (Dirty Bit),' which they desecrated by turning it into a poorly placed ballad right before people wearing boxes on their head marched onto the stage. The only reason we can think to employ boxes as headwear is that they had to get really close to Fergie and they needed to protect the sanctity of their eardrums.
And as the amazing and insightful Rachel Sklar put it on Twitter, "OH COME ON NOW. If you're not going to do the jump, then leave Baby in her corner."
Also ruined during halftime: 'Sweet Child O' Mine.' For one sweet, sweet moment it seemed that Slash could save the show all by his singular anthem rocky self, but then Fergie had to go and temper all expectations by taking on Axl's medley and trying to do something with her hips that no one besides Mr. Rose should attempt on a stage in front of millions of viewers.
We can't help but wonder if Usher begged the crew not to make him descend onto the stage in the middle of the performance. In my head he was clinging to a harness and promising Bentleys to any stagehand who could get him the hell out of there.
A wardrobe malfunction from any of the band members wouldn't have been able to save the Peas' halftime performance, but a well-timed nip slip may have distracted the audience long enough for Fergie to get on pitch.
There is little doubt that this will go down in the history books as a massive fail. There is a reason that legends like The Who and The Rolling Stones serve a Super Bowl audience well. They know what they're doing in a Texas-sized stadium. Let's see what they're doing next year.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' tops Labor Day, summer box office
- FBI, Apple begin inquiries into nude celebrity photo leaks
- Carrie Underwood announces she is pregnant with her first child
- 100 things that apparently happened, as told by ?The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story'
- Patrick Duffy talks Lynda Carter crush, reason he'd kill Gabe Kaplan
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies
- Baby News! Carrie Underwood Is Pregnant
- Joan Rivers' Health Update: Being Brought Out of Coma, Family Has ?Fingers Crossed'
- Nude Photos of Jennifer Lawrence and Others Leaked in Massive Hack
- Angelina Jolie's Wedding Dress Featured Colorful Designs Drawn By Her and Brad Pitt's Kids -- See the First Pic!
- Carrie Underwood is Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Mike Fisher!
- Melissa Rivers Releases New Statement on Mom Joan River's Condition; Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leaked: Top Weekend Stories