Joan Rivers Reams Christina Aguilera Over Star-Mangled Banner
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 7th 2011 10:35PM
EXCLUSIVE: Christina Aguilera has pipes of steel, but her memory failed her on Super Bowl Sunday when she flubbed the ramparts out of the Star-Spangled Banner. With great gaffes come great amounts of criticism, and although the singer has tried to explain herself ("I lost my place"), she couldn't escape the wrath of Joan Rivers.
"How stupid can you get?" Joan asked when I talked to her on Monday. "Christina must have been thinking about food, that's why she forgot the words."
Before the big game, Christina belted out "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last reaming" instead of "O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming." It was the second time she sang the "What so proudly" line, but before she used the word "gleaming" instead of "reaming."
The 'Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?' star continued using Christina's oft-fluctuating weight to rough up Christina, and offered a line she thought she could have used, "O say can you see ... french fries." Joan snarked that there was an upside to Christina's fluctuating weight. "She's gotten so big," -- here's where you say how big is she? -- "She looks like she could eat Lady Gaga. Great way to get rid of competition."
Aguilera addressed her performance in a statement to the press. "I got so caught up in the moment of the song that I lost my place. I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."
Joan made her own appearance during the Super Bowl as well. She's the new Go Daddy girl and starred in their big ad this year. Jillian Michaels and Danica Patrick spend the :30 ad introducing their newest model, but you don't catch a glimse of her face until the last second.
"They were looking for someone stupid to be their new spokesperson," she tells me. "I'm now Joan.co. It couldn't be any easier."
She added, "Those 2 Go Daddy girls are haters. Jillian kept looking at my body, and I said, 'Oh please, Jillian.'"
Though she's joked on Twitter that it was actually her 77-year-old body in the ad, the buxom figure reportedly belongs to model Tabitha Taylor, who starred in a popular Go Daddy ad for the 2009 Super Bowl.
PopEater got the word on the street about Christina's Super Bowl performance -- check it out:
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Weight -
- Celebrity Fights -
- Gut Reactions -
- Music News -
- TV News -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Christina Aguilera
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Christina Aguilera Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rapper 'Bobby Shmurda' arrested in gang-related drug case
- North Korea connected to Sony attack as company cancels Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview'Dec. 2
- 'Millionaire Hot Seat' contestant fails on first question
- What to expect from the season 5 ?Sing-Off' groups: A very careful aca-sessment
- Nintendinitis is a real, medical thing ? learn the facts
- What's on Her Ear? See Demi Lovato's Daring New Look and More!
- Pics! Oprah Throws Surprise 60th Birthday Blowout for Gayle King
- Duggar-versy! Jim Bob Duggar Speaks Out on Petition to Cancel '19 Kids & Counting'
- Annie Movie Review: Quvenzhane Wallis' Revamp Is Desperately Aching to Be Hip
- The Interview's Theatrical Release Pulled: Celebrities Like Judd Apatow, Rob Lowe Are Appalled -- Read Their Shocked Tweets
- Graham Rahal, Courtney Force Engaged: Racing's Power Couple Are Tying the Knot!