Keith Olbermann Joining Current TV
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Feb 7th 2011 10:18PM
It was only weeks ago that Keith Olbermann abruptly announced his departure from MSNBC's 'Countdown,' but it looks like the opinionated host might have already lined up his next television home.
According to The New York Times, Olbermann is moving to work with Current TV, a public affairs channel founded by Al Gore and other independent backers. Olbermann's official decision was made public via Current TV's website today.
"A few weeks ago, a great provocateur left the television airwaves," the announcement reads. "But we're bringing him back. We are pleased to announce that Keith Olbermann has selected Current TV as the new home for his exciting, thought-provoking, independent voice."
Sources claim Olbermann would have an equity stake in Current TV. A public relations agency hired by the host has already scheduled a Tuesday morning call for "an exciting announcement regarding the next chapter in (Olbermann's) remarkable career."
Olbermann's new network has set up a presentation for advertisers this Wednesday to announce its future plans. Adding a top-rated host with network experience might be what Current TV needs to become a part of mainstream cable. The network is targeted at young people, and while it has recently begun producing more traditional television series, it's largely comprised of YouTube-style submissions. It's only available in only about 60 million homes and usually not as a part of basic cable.
Since his departure from 'Countdown,' Olbermann has kept in touch with his fan base through his Twitter account. Two days before the official announcement, the Internet domain name TheOlbermannShow.com was registered, leading many to believe the liberal host already had his next gig in the works.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chris Pratt Visits Children's Hospital Los Angeles in Guardians of the Galaxy Costume: Photo
- Taylor Swift Shares Close Encounter With Ex-Boyfriend John Mayer at Chateau Marmont
- Caroline Manzo's Manzo'd With Children Is Full of Fights, Jokes, and Family Drama: Watch the Explosive Preview
- Cashing In! ?Housewives' Star Raked In Nearly $600K In ?Wardrobe’ And ?Location’ Fees ? Read The Contract!
- Pat O'Brien Claims Former Friend O.J. Simpson Tried To Attack Him, Called Him A ?Phony C*cksucker' At A Miami Party Post Murder Trial
- She Won't Back Down ? Former ?Gossip Girl' Star Kelly Rutherford Files New Appeal In Custody Case As Kids Return To Their Dad In France
- Former 'Jeopardy' contestant indicted for assaulting legislator's wife
- Robin Williams' ashes reportedly scattered in San Francisco Bay last week
- 'Blurred Lines' model Emily Ratajkowski: Men need to get over naked women
- Kim Kardashian, Kris Jenner and the Other Kardashians Are the Biggest Kanye West Fans—See the T-Shirts, Custom Cakes and More!
- Best Dressed Emmys Stars of All Time—Blake Lively's Plunging Gown, Nina Dobrev's Red Hot Style & More!
- Mila Kunis Looks Ready to Pop While Grocery Shopping in L.A.! See Pics of Her Big Baby Bump