Keith Olbermann Joining Current TV
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Feb 7th 2011 10:18PM
It was only weeks ago that Keith Olbermann abruptly announced his departure from MSNBC's 'Countdown,' but it looks like the opinionated host might have already lined up his next television home.
According to The New York Times, Olbermann is moving to work with Current TV, a public affairs channel founded by Al Gore and other independent backers. Olbermann's official decision was made public via Current TV's website today.
"A few weeks ago, a great provocateur left the television airwaves," the announcement reads. "But we're bringing him back. We are pleased to announce that Keith Olbermann has selected Current TV as the new home for his exciting, thought-provoking, independent voice."
Sources claim Olbermann would have an equity stake in Current TV. A public relations agency hired by the host has already scheduled a Tuesday morning call for "an exciting announcement regarding the next chapter in (Olbermann's) remarkable career."
Olbermann's new network has set up a presentation for advertisers this Wednesday to announce its future plans. Adding a top-rated host with network experience might be what Current TV needs to become a part of mainstream cable. The network is targeted at young people, and while it has recently begun producing more traditional television series, it's largely comprised of YouTube-style submissions. It's only available in only about 60 million homes and usually not as a part of basic cable.
Since his departure from 'Countdown,' Olbermann has kept in touch with his fan base through his Twitter account. Two days before the official announcement, the Internet domain name TheOlbermannShow.com was registered, leading many to believe the liberal host already had his next gig in the works.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jon Hamm: Jennifer Westfeldt Knows the Secret Ending to Mad Men
- Keyshia Cole Arrested After Attacking Woman in Boyfriend Birdman's Condo
- Justin Bieber Is Aware No One Likes His Mustache, Tells Fans to "Calm Down": Picture
- ?Duck Dynasty' Medical Crisis! The Truth About Phil Robertson’s Alleged Hospital Stay Revealed
- The Show Will Go On! ‘Fashion Police’ To Return On E! ?As Joan Rivers Would Have Wanted' In 2015
- Luke Bryan reaches out to dying teenager on Twitter
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: How I found out nude pics had leaked
- Jason Aldean: Get over affair and stop calling me 'bro country'
- Melissa Rivers Confirms That Fashion Police Will Continue On—Get All the Details!
- Clint Dempsey Isn't Just a Soccer Hero—He Raps, Too, Remember?! Watch Him Do His Hip-Hop Thing Right Here
- Mariah Carey and Dem Babies "Have Fun 'Under the Sea'" During Aquarium Date—See the Pics!