Keith Olbermann Joining Current TV
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Feb 7th 2011 10:18PM
It was only weeks ago that Keith Olbermann abruptly announced his departure from MSNBC's 'Countdown,' but it looks like the opinionated host might have already lined up his next television home.
According to The New York Times, Olbermann is moving to work with Current TV, a public affairs channel founded by Al Gore and other independent backers. Olbermann's official decision was made public via Current TV's website today.
"A few weeks ago, a great provocateur left the television airwaves," the announcement reads. "But we're bringing him back. We are pleased to announce that Keith Olbermann has selected Current TV as the new home for his exciting, thought-provoking, independent voice."
Sources claim Olbermann would have an equity stake in Current TV. A public relations agency hired by the host has already scheduled a Tuesday morning call for "an exciting announcement regarding the next chapter in (Olbermann's) remarkable career."
Olbermann's new network has set up a presentation for advertisers this Wednesday to announce its future plans. Adding a top-rated host with network experience might be what Current TV needs to become a part of mainstream cable. The network is targeted at young people, and while it has recently begun producing more traditional television series, it's largely comprised of YouTube-style submissions. It's only available in only about 60 million homes and usually not as a part of basic cable.
Since his departure from 'Countdown,' Olbermann has kept in touch with his fan base through his Twitter account. Two days before the official announcement, the Internet domain name TheOlbermannShow.com was registered, leading many to believe the liberal host already had his next gig in the works.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Reese Witherspoon keeps her hands in her pockets as she tries to stay warm while out in New York City on January 3rd.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Brought a Shirtless Man on a Leash to Her Gotham Audition
- Kim Kardashian Leaves Little to the Imagination in Skintight Red Skirt, Grey Bodysuit for a Trip to the Office, Because Why Not?
- Tori Spelling Hospitalized For Possible Pneumonia, Reportedly Undergoes Ebola-Like Quarantine
- Kris Jenner's Hollywood Domination Plans Unveiled ? She Wants To Create A ?Talent Management Empire'!
- It Was A Kardashian Day Out! Kris, Kourtney And Kim Take Their Kids To The Pumpkin Patch For Hayrides And More!
- ?Happy Couple' Ricki Lake & Christian Evans Are Divorcing Amicably ? How Their Love ?Fell Apart’
- 'Real Housewives' star Brandi Glanville reportedly dating 23-year-old
- Nicki Minaj doesn't understand the fuss over 'Anaconda' video
- Country music group Little Big Town put in top-notch effort on new album
- Cutest Rugby Player Ever?! Prince Harry Shows Off His Skills While Mentoring Young Athletes
- Robert Pattinson Lands in Toronto Solo After Whirlwind Trip With Girlfriend FKA Twigs
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga Fuel Dating Rumors With European Getaway, Rapper Blasts Hater on Instagram