Melissa Leo Rolls Out 'Consider' Ads in Time For the Oscars
By Sarah Crow Posted Feb 7th 2011 01:00PM
Despite already winning a Golden Globe award for the role, the 50-year-old actress, who stars in 'The Fighter' as the mother of Mark Wahlberg's title character, has posted a set of glamour shots on her website, www.MelissaLeo.com, simply captioned "consider."
Leo tells Deadline of her decision to post the photos, "I took matters into my own hands. I knew what I was doing and told my representation how earnest I was about this idea. I had never heard of any actor taking out an ad as themselves and I wanted to give it a shot."
While actors have been criticized in the past for taking such self-promotional measures, Leo says that she is merely trying to gain recognition for her work, something that can be elusive for actresses above a certain age.
Leo has heard that the ads are getting some less than positive reviews, although she says that no one has been openly critical to her. "I heard there were negative comments, but no one said them to my face, sadly. I like to hear what people think. I could explain myself."
Fortunately for Leo, most of the response has been positive. "I did hear a lot of very positive comments," she says. "Particularly from women of a certain age who happen to act for a living and happen to understand full well the great dilemma and mystery of getting a cover of a magazine."
Do you think Leo made the wrong choice by making the ads?
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Heidi Klum Goes Topless, Zac Posen Covers her Breasts with his Hands
- Julia Roberts, Jimmy Fallon Throw Giant Balls at Each Other's Faces, Get Squashed Noses
- Kim Kardashian Shares Bikini Pictures With North West; Adrienne Bailon Defends Rob Kardashian Comments: Top 5 Thursday Stories
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Nick Viall Explains Fantasy Suite Experience With Andi Dorfman: Our Intimacy Level Was Way Beyond the "Act of Sex"
- Jada Pinkett Smith Talks Controversy Surrounding Willow's Photo: "Don't Pollute Something That's Not Dirty"
- Barack Obama "Favorite" Katy Perry Sings at the White House—and Brings Her Republican Mom!