Fellow Artists: Lady Gaga Out-Bjork'd Bjork With 'Creepy' Egg Gimmick
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 14th 2011 09:21PM
Lady Gaga sure knows how to make an entrance, but after arriving at the Grammys last night encased in a giant egg atop a cross and carried by four half-naked guys, there are signs the stunt may have backfired on her. My spies backstage tell me Gaga was one of the official punchlines of the evening.
"This was more ridiculous than Bjork's swan dress she wore at the Oscars," an insider tells me. "When the news started to spread backstage that Gaga was arriving in a egg, everyone burst out laughing and not in a good way."
It all started when Gaga's stylist, Nicola Formichetti, explained on Twitter that her client was "in incubation." Things got really creepy when she arrived at the event via a truck, and her "nurse" told red-carpet maestro Ryan Seacrest that Gaga was in a "creative embryonic stage and won't be born until her performance this evening."
All this, of course, was spoken to millions of viewers without an ounce of irony or sense of humor.
"She made a total ass of herself," a fellow artist tells me, matter-of-factly. "She's coming across as a bit desperate. This is the sort of stunt you expect from Snooki, not a Grammy-winning artist."
Another insider at the show complained to me that she's become a "fame monster" more focused on "gimmicks and stunts" than her amazing voice and talent.
I can't help but agree. Tough love time: Gaga, you seem happy to borrow from Madonna's hits; maybe you should also start copying her common sense.
PopEater surveyed the word on the street surrounding Grammy fashions:
Grammy Awards 2011
Lady Gaga arrives at the 53rd annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011, in Los Angeles.
Chris Pizzello, AP
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Style -
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Music News -
- WTF -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Lady Gaga
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Lady Gaga Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Bieber's buddy gets a shark bite during vacation
- Tiger who? Lindsey Vonn turns heads at Grand Prix event
- Ben Affleck returns home alone after Bahamas trip with Jennifer Garner
- Bobbi Kristina Update: Does Secret Nick Gordon Recording Reveal What Really Happened?
- Report: Why Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick Split
- Pic! Elizabeth Olsen Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction in Paris
- Nicky Hilton's Butt Cheeks Peek Out in Bizarre Dress at Paris Fashion Week: Pics
- Nick Gordon "Going Through Intense Mood Swings," Desperate to See Bobbi Kristina Before She Passes Away
- Donald Trump Slams Miss Universe Paulina Vega as a "Hypocrite" After She Criticizes Him