Fellow Artists: Lady Gaga Out-Bjork'd Bjork With 'Creepy' Egg Gimmick
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 14th 2011 09:21PM
Lady Gaga sure knows how to make an entrance, but after arriving at the Grammys last night encased in a giant egg atop a cross and carried by four half-naked guys, there are signs the stunt may have backfired on her. My spies backstage tell me Gaga was one of the official punchlines of the evening.
"This was more ridiculous than Bjork's swan dress she wore at the Oscars," an insider tells me. "When the news started to spread backstage that Gaga was arriving in a egg, everyone burst out laughing and not in a good way."
It all started when Gaga's stylist, Nicola Formichetti, explained on Twitter that her client was "in incubation." Things got really creepy when she arrived at the event via a truck, and her "nurse" told red-carpet maestro Ryan Seacrest that Gaga was in a "creative embryonic stage and won't be born until her performance this evening."
All this, of course, was spoken to millions of viewers without an ounce of irony or sense of humor.
"She made a total ass of herself," a fellow artist tells me, matter-of-factly. "She's coming across as a bit desperate. This is the sort of stunt you expect from Snooki, not a Grammy-winning artist."
Another insider at the show complained to me that she's become a "fame monster" more focused on "gimmicks and stunts" than her amazing voice and talent.
I can't help but agree. Tough love time: Gaga, you seem happy to borrow from Madonna's hits; maybe you should also start copying her common sense.
PopEater surveyed the word on the street surrounding Grammy fashions:
Grammy Awards 2011
Lady Gaga arrives at the 53rd annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011, in Los Angeles.
Chris Pizzello, AP
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Style -
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Music News -
- WTF -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Lady Gaga
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Lady Gaga Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Jurassic World' trailer debuts: Chris Pratt vs. hybrid dinos!
- Garth Brooks cancels talk show appearances after Ferguson 'unrest'
- New documentary explores the life, career of Kurt Cobain
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Ricky Martin Opens Up About Touring with His Twin Boys and More!
- Now Playing Live Movie Reviews: 'Horrible Bosses 2' vs. 'Penguins of Madagascar'
- 'The Voice': Getting to Know the Season 7 Top 10
- Tori Spelling: I Hit "Rock Bottom" After Kids "Weren't Even Fazed By Me Being in the Hospital"
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana Covers Her Baby Bump in a Striped Dress, Grabs Breakfast With Husband Marco Perego
- Cake Trailer: Watch Transformed Jennifer Aniston in Raw New Clip