Fellow Artists: Lady Gaga Out-Bjork'd Bjork With 'Creepy' Egg Gimmick
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 14th 2011 09:21PM
Lady Gaga sure knows how to make an entrance, but after arriving at the Grammys last night encased in a giant egg atop a cross and carried by four half-naked guys, there are signs the stunt may have backfired on her. My spies backstage tell me Gaga was one of the official punchlines of the evening.
"This was more ridiculous than Bjork's swan dress she wore at the Oscars," an insider tells me. "When the news started to spread backstage that Gaga was arriving in a egg, everyone burst out laughing and not in a good way."
It all started when Gaga's stylist, Nicola Formichetti, explained on Twitter that her client was "in incubation." Things got really creepy when she arrived at the event via a truck, and her "nurse" told red-carpet maestro Ryan Seacrest that Gaga was in a "creative embryonic stage and won't be born until her performance this evening."
All this, of course, was spoken to millions of viewers without an ounce of irony or sense of humor.
"She made a total ass of herself," a fellow artist tells me, matter-of-factly. "She's coming across as a bit desperate. This is the sort of stunt you expect from Snooki, not a Grammy-winning artist."
Another insider at the show complained to me that she's become a "fame monster" more focused on "gimmicks and stunts" than her amazing voice and talent.
I can't help but agree. Tough love time: Gaga, you seem happy to borrow from Madonna's hits; maybe you should also start copying her common sense.
PopEater surveyed the word on the street surrounding Grammy fashions:
Grammy Awards 2011
Lady Gaga arrives at the 53rd annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011, in Los Angeles.
Chris Pizzello, AP
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Style -
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Music News -
- WTF -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Lady Gaga
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Lady Gaga Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- NBA Star Reportedly Asks Court To Delay Divorce During Playoffs
- The 13 Best TV Episodes To Celebrate Summer
- ?Fast & Furious 6?: That ending! THAT ENDING! (SPOILERS)
- ?Arrested Development': Five episodes to watch to get ready for Sunday
- ?Fast & Furious': 10 take-aways after an all-day franchise marathon
- Carrie Underwood Donates $1M to Oklahoma Tornado Relief
- Randy Jackson Visits Air Force Base, Debuts New Guitar Collection
- Star-Studded PSA Shines Spotlight on Global Water Crisis