CBS' Lara Logan Hospitalized After 'Brutal' Sexual Assault in Egypt
By Zach Dionne Posted Feb 15th 2011 06:42PM
CBS News released a statement that on Feb. 11, shortly after Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from power, "chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a '60 Minutes' story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy. In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."
Logan was able to rejoin her team and return to the U.S. She was recovering in a hospital on Feb. 15.
CBS' statement concludes by saying: "There will be no further comment from CBS News, and correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time."
Esquire landed an interview with Logan just last week, on her way back to Cairo after being kicked out of the country the week before. "This is the Tiananmen Square of the cyber age," she said. "There's no question."
Reporter Foster Kamer incredulously asked Logan if CBS was "insured for this s**t" and if she was crazy to go back to the thick of the protests. "You know," Logan answered, smiling, "I don't worry about things like that."
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Barbra Streisand Returns to Late Night TV After 50 Year Break, Performs Duet with Jimmy Fallon
- Dancing With the Stars Season 19 Premiere Recap: First Dances Bring Gaffes, Greatness
- Miss Nebraska Megan Swanson Flashes Underwear on Live TV; Angelina Jolie Looks Sporty in Shorts with Brad Pitt: Top 5 Stories
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Danielle Fishel: As a child star 'my curfew was 10 p.m.'
- The lovely and talented ladies of country music
- Cheryl Burke: This is 'probably' my last season on 'Dancing With the Stars'
- August Alsina Collapses Off Stage During New York Concert—See the Scary Clip
- Ranking the Awkwardness on the Dancing with the Stars Premiere: What Made Us Cringe the Most?
- Sarah Palin Goes Makeup-Free—and Kinda, Sorta Gives the Finger—After Family Is Involved in Drunken Fight