CBS' Lara Logan Hospitalized After 'Brutal' Sexual Assault in Egypt
By Zach Dionne Posted Feb 15th 2011 06:42PM
CBS News released a statement that on Feb. 11, shortly after Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from power, "chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a '60 Minutes' story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy. In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."
Logan was able to rejoin her team and return to the U.S. She was recovering in a hospital on Feb. 15.
CBS' statement concludes by saying: "There will be no further comment from CBS News, and correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time."
Esquire landed an interview with Logan just last week, on her way back to Cairo after being kicked out of the country the week before. "This is the Tiananmen Square of the cyber age," she said. "There's no question."
Reporter Foster Kamer incredulously asked Logan if CBS was "insured for this s**t" and if she was crazy to go back to the thick of the protests. "You know," Logan answered, smiling, "I don't worry about things like that."
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kourtney Kardashian Pumps Breast Milk After Las Vegas Birthday Celebrations: Pics
- Karen O Is Pregnant! Yeah Yeah Yeahs Singer Expecting First Child With Husband Barnaby Clay
- Catelynn Lowell, Tyler Baltierra Clash With Carly's Adoptive Parents: Watch the Teen Mom OG Sneak Peek Clip!
- 'Furious 7' tops box office for third straight week
- Ringo Starr inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Bobby Flay reportedly had an affair that ruined his marriage to Stephanie March