CBS' Lara Logan Hospitalized After 'Brutal' Sexual Assault in Egypt
By Zach Dionne Posted Feb 15th 2011 06:42PM
CBS News released a statement that on Feb. 11, shortly after Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from power, "chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a '60 Minutes' story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy. In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."
Logan was able to rejoin her team and return to the U.S. She was recovering in a hospital on Feb. 15.
CBS' statement concludes by saying: "There will be no further comment from CBS News, and correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time."
Esquire landed an interview with Logan just last week, on her way back to Cairo after being kicked out of the country the week before. "This is the Tiananmen Square of the cyber age," she said. "There's no question."
Reporter Foster Kamer incredulously asked Logan if CBS was "insured for this s**t" and if she was crazy to go back to the thick of the protests. "You know," Logan answered, smiling, "I don't worry about things like that."
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner Had No Comment on Bruce Jenner Interview? "I Wasn't Asked"
- Bruce Jenner Was Terrified to Come Out to Children; Brandon Jenner Knew First
- Bruce Jenner Clarifies Gender Identity vs. Sexuality in Diane Sawyer Interview: "It's Apples and Oranges"
- Bruce Jenner in interview: 'I am a woman'
- Sawyer Sweeten, 'Everybody Loves Raymond' child actor, dead at 19
- Comedian Artie Lange: It's not fair when people call me fat
- Bruce Jenner's Family Reacts to Diane Sawyer Interview: We Are "So Very Proud" of Our "Hero"
- Bruce Jenner Reveals Kanye West's Words of Wisdom, Says Kim Kardashian Has Been ''By Far'' the Most Accepting of His Gender Transition
- Bruce Jenner Admits He Once Contemplated Suicide