Diane Kruger Tells GQ She Almost Lost 'Basterds' Role
By Sarah Crow Posted Feb 16th 2011 01:59PM
Diane Kruger wowed audiences as screen siren Bridget von Hammersmark in Quentin Tarantino's 'Inglourious Basterds,' but she almost didn't get the part, she revealed to GQ magazine.
The actress, born Diane Heidkrüger in Algermissen, Germany, told the magazine that the director originally intended to look elsewhere for an actress to play the Deutsche defector because he didn't believe that Kruger was actually German.
"You know how it is," Kruger says. "Sometimes filmmakers get hung up on something. I basically had to fly to Germany and show him my passport."
Her quick wit came across in 'Basterds,' where she held her own as one of only two female leads in a cast of men known for their comedic talent, but Kruger admits that people often mistake her style for sternness, particularly when they know where she's from.
"People look at me and think, 'Oh she's from Germany, she looks so composed,' but I think I'm a good joke teller, and I like pretty crass jokes," she told Allure.
The actress returns to the big screen this month in the thriller 'Unknown,' opposite Liam Neeson.
See a batch of hot Diane Kruger pics at GQ.com >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
MORE ABOUT Diane Kruger
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Diane Kruger Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
- Jimmy Fallon Unleashes Epic 'Game of Thrones' Parody (Video)
- Cannes: Hollywood Gives Back at Star-Filled AmfAR Gala (Column)
- Jennifer Hudson in Negotiations to Judge 'American Idol'
- Sorry, folks, Jimmy Kimmel didn't really buy that $1.9 million nude Bea Arthur painting
- PopWatch Confessional TV Jukebox edition: What songs do you wish you'd heard on TV this year?
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report