David Cooks Recalls a Pivotal Moment From His Youth
David Cook first caught the world's attention when he beat out fellow contestant David Archuleta for the 'American Idol' crown back in 2008. Since then, the gifted singer-songwriter has carved out a niche for himself in the pop-rock landscape with a succession of hit singles and a platinum-selling major label album. You would think that his defining moment would have been winning the 'American Idol' title, but, as he recently told PopEater when we visited a recording session for his next album, Cook instead recalls an embarrassing tale from his youth.
My mom caught me and I was immediately embarrassed ... she was like, 'you're actually really good.'
"I think in second grade maybe, I got caught singing getting ready for school. My mom caught me and I was immediately embarrassed, I was always a really shy kid. So I got caught and she was like, 'you're actually really good.'''
His mom's assurance didn't initially stop Cook from feeling embarrassed, "I think I cried -- I was creeped-out by the fact that somebody else heard me sing." But the shock of the experience helped him a few days later when his second grade teacher called on him to sing in front of his class. "I guess I did OK and she cast me in a Christmas musical thing that my school was putting on. I had to sing a solo and, I don't know, I remember I was ridiculously nervous, but I really enjoyed it."
Cook didn't know it at the time, but the seed had been planted. "After the fact I just kind of had the bug, so any talent show or anything like that, that just became my M.O. to go up and sing some song that my parents had picked out so I don't know. It really kind of helped develop my passion for music, was really that cataclysmic moment."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- '300' sequel tops box office with $45.1M debut
- Reality polygamy family says 'It's like coming out of the closet' doing the show
- Raunchy Johnny Carson sex tape reportedly being shopped around
- ?Resurrection' series premiere react: In it for the long haul?
- ?True Detective' season finale: What happened? ? SPOILERS
- Jennifer Aniston Says She Would Trade Bodies With? [Hint: It's a Supermodel]
- Cameron Diaz and Sharon Stone Talk with Oprah About Aging Gracefully
- Khloe Kardashian Steps Out in Eye-Catching Ensemble, Mila Kunis Flashes Engagement Ring From Ashton Kutcher: Top Weekend Stories
- Jared Leto, Brother Shannon Leto Give Smoldering Stares in Bold, Printed Shirts: See the Sexy Picture
- Taylor Swift, Lorde Pal Around New York City: See the Goofy Picture