David Cooks Recalls a Pivotal Moment From His Youth
David Cook first caught the world's attention when he beat out fellow contestant David Archuleta for the 'American Idol' crown back in 2008. Since then, the gifted singer-songwriter has carved out a niche for himself in the pop-rock landscape with a succession of hit singles and a platinum-selling major label album. You would think that his defining moment would have been winning the 'American Idol' title, but, as he recently told PopEater when we visited a recording session for his next album, Cook instead recalls an embarrassing tale from his youth.
My mom caught me and I was immediately embarrassed ... she was like, 'you're actually really good.'
"I think in second grade maybe, I got caught singing getting ready for school. My mom caught me and I was immediately embarrassed, I was always a really shy kid. So I got caught and she was like, 'you're actually really good.'''
His mom's assurance didn't initially stop Cook from feeling embarrassed, "I think I cried -- I was creeped-out by the fact that somebody else heard me sing." But the shock of the experience helped him a few days later when his second grade teacher called on him to sing in front of his class. "I guess I did OK and she cast me in a Christmas musical thing that my school was putting on. I had to sing a solo and, I don't know, I remember I was ridiculously nervous, but I really enjoyed it."
Cook didn't know it at the time, but the seed had been planted. "After the fact I just kind of had the bug, so any talent show or anything like that, that just became my M.O. to go up and sing some song that my parents had picked out so I don't know. It really kind of helped develop my passion for music, was really that cataclysmic moment."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Susan Boyle says she has Asperger's syndrome
- Don Rickles recovering from flesh-eating disease
- Is ?Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom' a good way to learn about the life of Nelson Mandela?
- ?SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars ? VIDEO
- PopWatch Planner: ?Arrow', ?Scandal' mid-season finales, ?American Hustle' in theaters, more
- Paul Rudd and One Direction take on ?Saturday Night Live': Talk about it here!
- Paris Hilton Sends Lindsay Lohan a Warning: Don't Mess with My Family or Else!
- Grammy Nominations 2014: Jay Z, Mackelmore & Ryan Lewis Top the List
- Twerkin' on Santa? Miley Cyrus Not Nice in Naughty Jingle Ball Performance