Grammy Award Winner John Strauss, Writer of 'Car 54, Where Are You' Theme, Dies
By The Editors at AOL News Posted Feb 18th 2011 02:00PM
A music editor as well as composer, Strauss had a long career that included an Emmy Award for sound editing in 1977's 'The Amazing Howard Hughes' and a Grammy Award for best classical album for 1984's 'Amadeus.' The latter film won an Oscar for Best Picture and included a brief shot of Strauss playing a conductor.
He also worked as a music editor for the 1980's hit 'The Blues Brothers'; Woody Allen's films 'Take the Money and Run,' 'Bananas' and 'Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)'; and NBC's television series 'L.A. Law.'
Strauss was born in New York on April 28, 1920. He served in France and North Africa during World War II, then returned home to study under Paul Hindemith at the Yale School of Music, according to Reuters. He married actress Charlotte Rae, with whom he collaborated on cabaret shows, but the couple divorced in 1975. His relationship afterward, with artist Lionel Friedman, ended in 2003 with Friedman's death.
Strauss' son, Larry Strauss, said his father died Monday night at a nursing home from Parkinson's disease complications. In addition to his son, he is survived by three grandchildren.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Dean Jones, boyish Disney star, dies at 84
- Avril Lavigne announces separation from husband Chad Kroeger
- Robert Redford, Nick Nolte's friendship shines through in 'A Walk in the Woods'
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' Star Amanda Peterson's Cause of Death Revealed
- Extra Scoop: Did Josh Duggar Have a Pregnancy Scare with Another Woman?
- Win It! A Patricia Nash Argos Crossbody Handbag
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates 45 Million Instagram Followers With, You Guessed It, a Cleavage Shot
- Bryan Cranston: Being Famous "Is Almost Like Being a Pregnant Woman"
- Sandra Bullock's Boyfriend Bryan Randall Is a "Free Spirit," "Amazing With Kids," Ex-Girlfriend's Mom Says