Grammy Award Winner John Strauss, Writer of 'Car 54, Where Are You' Theme, Dies
By The Editors at AOL News Posted Feb 18th 2011 02:00PM
A music editor as well as composer, Strauss had a long career that included an Emmy Award for sound editing in 1977's 'The Amazing Howard Hughes' and a Grammy Award for best classical album for 1984's 'Amadeus.' The latter film won an Oscar for Best Picture and included a brief shot of Strauss playing a conductor.
He also worked as a music editor for the 1980's hit 'The Blues Brothers'; Woody Allen's films 'Take the Money and Run,' 'Bananas' and 'Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)'; and NBC's television series 'L.A. Law.'
Strauss was born in New York on April 28, 1920. He served in France and North Africa during World War II, then returned home to study under Paul Hindemith at the Yale School of Music, according to Reuters. He married actress Charlotte Rae, with whom he collaborated on cabaret shows, but the couple divorced in 1975. His relationship afterward, with artist Lionel Friedman, ended in 2003 with Friedman's death.
Strauss' son, Larry Strauss, said his father died Monday night at a nursing home from Parkinson's disease complications. In addition to his son, he is survived by three grandchildren.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Don Rickles recovering from flesh-eating disease
- Carrie Undewood tweets Bible verse in response to critics
- Justin Timberlake's Grammy Snub?
- ?The Following' season 1 video recaps ? EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS
- ?Sound of Music Live!': The original film's Von Trapp children respond
- ?Vampire Diaries' actress Candice Accola stars in The Fray's ?Love Don't Die' video, kisses fiance Joe King ? VIDEO
- Twerkin' on Santa? Miley Cyrus Not Nice in Naughty Jingle Ball Performance
- Vin Diesel Shares Heartbreaking Moment with Paul Walker's Mother
- Paul Walker Death: Childhood Friend Tried to Pull Actor from the Fiery Wreckage