Sarah Ferguson in Tears After Queen's Royal Snub
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 21st 2011 09:15AM
The Queen has sent out over 1,800 invitations to attend the wedding of grandson Prince William and Kate Middleton, but has not invited The Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson. Leaving Will's auntie in tears over the Royal snub.
"Sarah is devastated that she hasn't been invited," a friend of the ex-royal tells me. "Hasn't she been punished enough by the family? Sarah is down on her luck and this is the same as kicking a person while they are down."
Sarah's 10-year marriage to Prince Andrew ended in 1996 but recently made headlines after she was caught trying to sell press access to her ex-husband to an undercover reporter from The News of the World. Since then her already strained relationship with the palace has been almost non-existent.
"Sarah was hoping that the wedding would provide her with the opportunity to spend quality time with the family and prove she can and does deserve to be part of the family," an insider tells me. "Any hope she ever had of being invited back into the fold is over. Sarah might be the last person on earth to finally get it but even she knows now she's not welcome."
The service will begin at Westminster Abby at 11:00 a.m. With Prince Harry serving as Best Man and Kate's sister, Pippa, will be Maid of Honor.
The invitation that Sarah sadly did not receive reads: "The Lord Chamberlain is commanded by the Queen to invite [name] to the marriage of His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales, K.G. with Miss Catherine Middleton at Westminster Abbey on Friday, 29th April, 2011 at 11.00 a.m."
Aside from family, friends and dignitaries, reported invitees include David and Victoria Beckham, Elton John and Kanye West.
"The Duchess will be watching the wedding on television just like the rest of the world, but not from England," a friend tells me. "It will be too painful for her to be in London. She will be abroad. Once again trying to start her life knowing that kissing a prince doesn't guarantee a happy ending."
British Royal Weddings
It seemed straight out of a fairy tale when Prince Charles, 32-year-old heir to the British throne, married 20-year-old Lady Diana Spencer on July 29, 1981. Despite the births of Prince William and Prince Harry, the couple were very ill-suited. Diana bitterly claimed "there were three of us in this marriage" -- a reference to Camilla Parker Bowles. Charles and Diana separated in December 1992 and were divorced in August 1996. A year later, Diana was killed in car crash in Paris.
Anwar Hussein, WireImage
Anwar Hussein, WireImage
Royal Weddings Through the Years
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Melissa Rivers Inherits Over $100 Million of Joan Rivers' Estate; Matthew McConaughey Hits Red Carpet With Adorable Kids: Top 5 Stories
- Jennifer Lopez Buys $22 Million New York City Apartment Next Door to Chelsea Clinton: Details
- Bewitched Reboot Scores NBC Deal: New Show Will Follow Samantha's Granddaughter Daphne
- Hank Baskett Caught Wearing Wedding Band While Grocery Shopping ? After Kendra Kicked Him To The Curb
- Jodi Arias Seeking Help From Admirers To Help Raise $250,000 For Appeals ? Has Already Raised $30,000
- Jason Aldean's new album features 'honest' tunes
- James Franco and Megan Fox offer no explanation for bloody photo
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Tyga Disses Drake by Calling Him "Fake," Sets the Record Straight on Kylie Jenner Dating Rumors
- Sorry, Clown Club! AHS Introduces Yet Another Creepy Clown: Our Rants and Raves
- Elizabeth Hurley Gets in the Disney Spirit During Mother-Son London Outing—See the Pic!