Billy Ray Cyrus 'Mending' His Family After Bad Week
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 23rd 2011 09:07AM
Billy Ray Cyrus has recovered from a recent bout of foot-in-mouth disease, telling PEOPLE he's "mending" his family after saying in a much-maligned interview that he was "scared" for his daughter Miley and blames Disney's 'Hannah Montana' for tearing down his family.
Cyrus conceded that his GQ interview was "explosive, and unintentionally so." He adds, "My family is the most important thing I have, and we are working together to make sure our future is stronger and healthier."
In the lengthy profile, Cyrus blamed the Disney show for the current trouble in his family, including his divorce from wife Tish. "I hate to say it, but yes, I do. I'd take it back in a second," he said of the show.
He also said he worries about the people surrounding his daughter, who are tasked with helping her make career decisions.
"I'm scared for her," he said. "She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger. I want to get her sheltered from the storm."
The comments set off a firestorm and apparently deepened his rift with Miley, who reportedly vetoed Billy Ray's planned appearance on 'The View' on Wednesday out of concern he would be coaxed into opening up too much again.
With a week to think about what he's done, Cyrus is now trying to reconcile his relationship with his daughter and asks that everyone give them the time and space to do it.
"It is all a learning process, and we thank everyone for their support and respect of our privacy as we sort through very important family issues," he tells PEOPLE.
He adds, "It is very important to me to work on mending my family right now."
Miley Cyrus Pics
An old snapshot of Miley Cyrus posing in a risque position with friends posted to Cyrus' Twitter account. Check Out More Miley Pics >>
MORE ABOUT Billy Ray Cyrus
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Billy Ray Cyrus Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ricky Skaggs supportive of gay country singers coming out
- Ex-model says Cosby hid behind image of Cliff Huxtable
- 'Today' show looking to bounce back after tough week
- This week's cover: Angelina Jolie and Jack O'Connell in ?Unbroken'
- John Oliver thinks the president's pardoned turkey has no case
- Waka Flocka Flame shills throat drops because he's Waka Flocka Flame
- Did a 19-Year-Old Model Post a Selfie from Robin Thicke's Bed?
- Katy Perry's 'Insane Ideas' for Super Bowl Halftime Show
- AMAs 2014: Kylie and Kendall Jenner, Sister Khlo
- Ariana Grande Releases New Christmas Song "Santa Tell Me," Sparks More Mariah Carey Comparisons: Listen Now!
- Vicki Gunvalson, Brooks Ayers Open Up About His Stage 3 Cancer Diagnosis, Reveal Tamra Barney Hasn't Reached Out
- Soleil Moon Frye's DIY Thanksgiving Craft for Kids: Make It Now