Billy Ray Cyrus 'Mending' His Family After Bad Week
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 23rd 2011 09:07AM
Billy Ray Cyrus has recovered from a recent bout of foot-in-mouth disease, telling PEOPLE he's "mending" his family after saying in a much-maligned interview that he was "scared" for his daughter Miley and blames Disney's 'Hannah Montana' for tearing down his family.
Cyrus conceded that his GQ interview was "explosive, and unintentionally so." He adds, "My family is the most important thing I have, and we are working together to make sure our future is stronger and healthier."
In the lengthy profile, Cyrus blamed the Disney show for the current trouble in his family, including his divorce from wife Tish. "I hate to say it, but yes, I do. I'd take it back in a second," he said of the show.
He also said he worries about the people surrounding his daughter, who are tasked with helping her make career decisions.
"I'm scared for her," he said. "She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger. I want to get her sheltered from the storm."
The comments set off a firestorm and apparently deepened his rift with Miley, who reportedly vetoed Billy Ray's planned appearance on 'The View' on Wednesday out of concern he would be coaxed into opening up too much again.
With a week to think about what he's done, Cyrus is now trying to reconcile his relationship with his daughter and asks that everyone give them the time and space to do it.
"It is all a learning process, and we thank everyone for their support and respect of our privacy as we sort through very important family issues," he tells PEOPLE.
He adds, "It is very important to me to work on mending my family right now."
Miley Cyrus Pics
An old snapshot of Miley Cyrus posing in a risque position with friends posted to Cyrus' Twitter account. Check Out More Miley Pics >>
MORE ABOUT Billy Ray Cyrus
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Billy Ray Cyrus Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Family feud in evidence at Bobbi Kristina funeral
- Wrestling legend Roddy Piper dead at 61
- Actress Valerie Harper out of hospital, resting with family
- Bobbi Kristina's Funeral Ends with a Whitney Houston Song
- Melt-Down: Bobbi Kristina's Aunt Leolah Booted from Funeral, Spews Accusations
- Valerie Harper's Upbeat Message to Fans
- Kim Kardashian Is Officially a Soccer Mom: New North West Photos!
- Avril Lavigne Wants to Make Movies, Has a Pizza Named After Her: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Caitlyn Jenner's Conservative Views Concern Transgender Friends in New I Am Cait Sneak Peek: Watch