Red Hot Chili Peppers Reveal LSD Influence Behind New Album
By Spinner Editors Posted Feb 23rd 2011 12:45AM
Speaking to Spin, Kiedis revealed that the album has the working title of 'Dr Johnny Skinz's Disproportionately Rambunctious Polar Express Machine-head' -- a moniker that really -- ahem -- trips off the tongue.
"He [the friend] was reminiscing about one of his legendary acid trips," Kiedis said, "and told us that he had been playing a sold-out show to the planets and moons, and his No. 1 hit was, well, that title."
Kieidis was quick to point out that the name might not stick beyond the recording process. He added, "We found it so funny that we told him for as long as the album was under the radar, that that would be our nickname for it."
The singer went on to explain that a combination of guitarist John Frusciante's departure -- since replaced by Josh Klinghoffer -- and bassist Flea's piano lessons had altered the dynamic of the band in a positive way.
"Before, some of our jams were a bit hit-and-miss," Kiedis said. "On this record, a decent number of songs were actually thought out and planned in a way we had never done before. That is, with Flea's new knowledge of music theory, we explored the writing process with a bit more precision."
No release date has yet been set for the new album.
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Toys 'R' Us pulling 'Breaking Bad' dolls from stores, website
- 'Django' actress Daniele Watts charged with lewd conduct
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Live-action ?Static Shock,' ?Mortal Kombat' unveiled as part of WB digital slate
- What is going on at Marvel? A PopWatch conspiracy theory
- Someone made a real hoverboard, so you should maybe get excited a little bit
- What Are Kerry Washington's Makeup Must-Haves?
- The Palin Family Brawl in Alaska: Listen to Bristol Describe Her Beatdown!
- Kris Jenner Responds to Rumors She Was on a Date with a Mystery Man
- Kate Middleton Makes First Appearance Since Suffering From Morning Sickness; Blake Lively Shows Off Baby Bump and Cleavage: Top 5 Stories
- Uma Thurman's 16-Year-Old Daughter Maya Looks Almost Identical to Her -- See the Mini-Me Picture!
- A Man in Chicago Told President Obama to Not Flirt With His Fiancee and It Was Amazing -- Watch Here