Red Hot Chili Peppers Reveal LSD Influence Behind New Album
By Spinner Editors Posted Feb 23rd 2011 12:45AM
Speaking to Spin, Kiedis revealed that the album has the working title of 'Dr Johnny Skinz's Disproportionately Rambunctious Polar Express Machine-head' -- a moniker that really -- ahem -- trips off the tongue.
"He [the friend] was reminiscing about one of his legendary acid trips," Kiedis said, "and told us that he had been playing a sold-out show to the planets and moons, and his No. 1 hit was, well, that title."
Kieidis was quick to point out that the name might not stick beyond the recording process. He added, "We found it so funny that we told him for as long as the album was under the radar, that that would be our nickname for it."
The singer went on to explain that a combination of guitarist John Frusciante's departure -- since replaced by Josh Klinghoffer -- and bassist Flea's piano lessons had altered the dynamic of the band in a positive way.
"Before, some of our jams were a bit hit-and-miss," Kiedis said. "On this record, a decent number of songs were actually thought out and planned in a way we had never done before. That is, with Flea's new knowledge of music theory, we explored the writing process with a bit more precision."
No release date has yet been set for the new album.
Get more at Spinner >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rap mogul Suge Knight behind wheel of truck in deadly hit-and-run, lawyer says
- Rod McKuen, mega-selling poet and performer, dies at 81
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons to play God in Broadway show
- Teresa Giudice's Life in Prison: Working Out and Dreaming of Spray Tans
- Human Ken Doll 2.0! Man Pays Over $265K to Reinvent Himself with Plastic Surgery
- Bruce Jenner Spotted Pouting in Public, and New Details About His Supposed Docu-Series
- Trista Sutter's Daughter Blakesley Reads Us Weekly, Looks in Awe of Desiree Hartsock, Chris Siegfried's Wedding Pics!
- Ryan Gosling Attempts His Best Australian Accent, Videobombs Russell Crowe While He's Presenting at the AACTA Awards -- Watch
- David Spade Spends $900K on Souped-Up Version of Joe Dirt Dodge Daytona Car, Says It's "Too Nice" to Drive!