Source: Regis 'Regretting' Decision to Leave 'Live'
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 24th 2011 10:31AM
It's been a mere two months since TV legend Regis Philbin announced he was saying goodbye to 'Live With Regis And Kelly,' and already insiders tell me he's having second thoughts.
"Regis quit without talking it through" with his co-host, a source with close ties to the show tells me. "He only told Kelly 10 minutes before the show went live, and now he's regretting it."
Regis, who makes a healthy salary (various reports peg it somewhere between $10-$20 million a year), was reportedly annoyed with the way he was being treated in contract negotiations with ABC and went on to fire his longtime agent, Jim Griffin, shortly after he made his announcement.
He's realized that soon he'll be left without a steady job, and a friend of the star tells me he's yet to receive those truly "great offers." No doubt they will come as the clock ticks down on his 28-year run on 'Live,' but waiting is the hardest part!
"He should have accepted a pay cut and remained on the show he created," a friend of Regis' tells me. "He's 79, and everyone knows TV is a young person's game. What was he thinking? I'm sure he looked at how the public has welcomed back Kathie Lee [Gifford, his old co-star] on 'Today' and assumed they would do the same for him. But as of now, he hasn't had any great offers."
When he announced on Jan. 18 that he was leaving 'Live,' Regis made it clear he wasn't going to be moving to the old folks home or anything. "I'm not going to retire. I just will be gone," he said.
I was actually at ABC studios in New York just hours after Regis made his announcement, and an executive who spoke on the condition of anonymity told me that producers have been "unofficially testing" out possible replacements for a while, but that they haven't necessarily found Kelly's partner yet. ABC said in January that it will announce Regis' replacement in the coming months.
I say stay, Regis ... or get back in the game show business pronto!
In the Meantime, Regis Is Still Having a Ball -- Watch Him and Snooki:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Eve Celebrates Bachelorette Party, Wears "Bride to Be" Tiara: Pictures
- Justin Bieber Deport Petition: The White House Responds In Statement
- Jared Leto Poses With Jesus Christ Look-a-Like: Hilarious Picture
- Tamra Barney’s Oldest Son Blasts Her Ex For Taking Custody Battle Public, ‘I Will NOT Allow This Piece Of S**t Simon Barney To Do This To My Mother’
- Joey Fatone and Nick Carter are feuding
- Missy describes Uncle Si as 'tenderhearted' and 'a bit crazy'
- Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice discuss 'Jesus Christ Superstar'
- Khloé Kardashian and French Montana Grab Late-Night Pizza in New York City
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Enjoy Rugby Match, Prince George Gets Another Marriage Proposal
- Kate Middleton Sits in Fighter Jet at Air Force Base, Receives Boomerang Gift for Prince George