Source: Regis 'Regretting' Decision to Leave 'Live'
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 24th 2011 10:31AM
It's been a mere two months since TV legend Regis Philbin announced he was saying goodbye to 'Live With Regis And Kelly,' and already insiders tell me he's having second thoughts.
"Regis quit without talking it through" with his co-host, a source with close ties to the show tells me. "He only told Kelly 10 minutes before the show went live, and now he's regretting it."
Regis, who makes a healthy salary (various reports peg it somewhere between $10-$20 million a year), was reportedly annoyed with the way he was being treated in contract negotiations with ABC and went on to fire his longtime agent, Jim Griffin, shortly after he made his announcement.
He's realized that soon he'll be left without a steady job, and a friend of the star tells me he's yet to receive those truly "great offers." No doubt they will come as the clock ticks down on his 28-year run on 'Live,' but waiting is the hardest part!
"He should have accepted a pay cut and remained on the show he created," a friend of Regis' tells me. "He's 79, and everyone knows TV is a young person's game. What was he thinking? I'm sure he looked at how the public has welcomed back Kathie Lee [Gifford, his old co-star] on 'Today' and assumed they would do the same for him. But as of now, he hasn't had any great offers."
When he announced on Jan. 18 that he was leaving 'Live,' Regis made it clear he wasn't going to be moving to the old folks home or anything. "I'm not going to retire. I just will be gone," he said.
I was actually at ABC studios in New York just hours after Regis made his announcement, and an executive who spoke on the condition of anonymity told me that producers have been "unofficially testing" out possible replacements for a while, but that they haven't necessarily found Kelly's partner yet. ABC said in January that it will announce Regis' replacement in the coming months.
I say stay, Regis ... or get back in the game show business pronto!
In the Meantime, Regis Is Still Having a Ball -- Watch Him and Snooki:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Middleton Makes First Appearance Since Suffering From Morning Sickness; Blake Lively Shows Off Baby Bump and Cleavage: Top 5 Stories
- Uma Thurman's 16-Year-Old Daughter Maya Looks Almost Identical to Her -- See the Mini-Me Picture!
- A Man in Chicago Told President Obama to Not Flirt With His Fiancee and It Was Amazing -- Watch Here
- It Begins?Again! Prosecutors Open Jodi Arias' Death Penalty Trial With Gruesome Photo
- Off The Wagon? Kyle Richards ?Even More Concerned' About Sister Kim's Sobriety ? Confrontation Caught On Camera!
- Cheating, Drugs & Violence! Anjelica Huston Claims Ryan O'Neal Beat Her —‘I Saw Stars & Reeled Back’
- Toys 'R' Us pulling 'Breaking Bad' dolls from stores, website
- 'Django' actress Daniele Watts charged with lewd conduct
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Sex Tape Bonus Features: Jason Segel Talks Putting His Junk in Cameron Diaz's Face—Plus, Bloopers! Watch Now!
- Why We're Laugh-Puking at Sons of Anarchy and Why We Love-Hate The Voice: Our Rants and Raves
- New Mom Scarlett Johansson Makes Barbara Walters' List of 10 Most Fascinating People of 2014—See Who Else Made the Cut!