Source: Regis 'Regretting' Decision to Leave 'Live'
By Rob Shuter Posted Feb 24th 2011 10:31AM
It's been a mere two months since TV legend Regis Philbin announced he was saying goodbye to 'Live With Regis And Kelly,' and already insiders tell me he's having second thoughts.
"Regis quit without talking it through" with his co-host, a source with close ties to the show tells me. "He only told Kelly 10 minutes before the show went live, and now he's regretting it."
Regis, who makes a healthy salary (various reports peg it somewhere between $10-$20 million a year), was reportedly annoyed with the way he was being treated in contract negotiations with ABC and went on to fire his longtime agent, Jim Griffin, shortly after he made his announcement.
He's realized that soon he'll be left without a steady job, and a friend of the star tells me he's yet to receive those truly "great offers." No doubt they will come as the clock ticks down on his 28-year run on 'Live,' but waiting is the hardest part!
"He should have accepted a pay cut and remained on the show he created," a friend of Regis' tells me. "He's 79, and everyone knows TV is a young person's game. What was he thinking? I'm sure he looked at how the public has welcomed back Kathie Lee [Gifford, his old co-star] on 'Today' and assumed they would do the same for him. But as of now, he hasn't had any great offers."
When he announced on Jan. 18 that he was leaving 'Live,' Regis made it clear he wasn't going to be moving to the old folks home or anything. "I'm not going to retire. I just will be gone," he said.
I was actually at ABC studios in New York just hours after Regis made his announcement, and an executive who spoke on the condition of anonymity told me that producers have been "unofficially testing" out possible replacements for a while, but that they haven't necessarily found Kelly's partner yet. ABC said in January that it will announce Regis' replacement in the coming months.
I say stay, Regis ... or get back in the game show business pronto!
In the Meantime, Regis Is Still Having a Ball -- Watch Him and Snooki:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Melissa Etheridge Has Never Spoken to Angelina Jolie, Still Says Mastectomy Was "Fearful"
- Maroon 5's "Animals" Music Video Slammed by Sexual Assault Support Group as "Stalker's Fantasy"
- Mario Lopez Slept With Mystery Pop Star, Says Dad Snuck Immigrants Over Border
- High Charlie Sheen Went Nuts At Dentist's Office, Hit Technician, Pulled Out Knife, Witness Tells Cops: Report
- ABC Producers Looking Into Building ?Time-Out Room,' Where ?The View's' Fiery Stars Whoopi Goldberg & Rosie O'Donnell Could Cool Down
- Amanda Bynes' mental stability questioned again
- Adam Sandler to make four films for Netflix
- 'Real Housewives' stars Teresa and Joe Giudice face sentencing, could be imprisoned
- Why "Huckleberry Quinn" Will Definitely Be a Trending Topic During Tonight's Episode of Scandal
- Vampire Diaries Boss Julie Plec Reveals Season 6 Surprises: Is Elena Getting a New Love Interest?!
- Shirtless Nick Jonas Shows Off His Hot Body—You've Gotta See This New Pic!